Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: R.I.P. Robert Gordon

R.I.P. Robert Gordon
October 18, 2022 12:22PM
Looks like he passed away back on the 3rd, but I didn't see the news at the time.
October 18, 2022 12:32PM
I saw something about RG's passing on social media, just an hour or so ago. But I can't find any news source to substantiate it. Anyone?
October 18, 2022 01:24PM
[www.yahoo.com]

I swear I saw a news story a couple of hours ago that said he passed on the 3rd, but this article says today. I tend to think the 3rd is probably correct and would be less surprised to discover Yahoo News didn't do due diligence than to see that news of Gordon's passing was big enough of a deal to instantly make the news the day it happened.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2022 01:29PM by breno.
October 18, 2022 02:54PM
Very, very saddened to learn of this. Mr. Gordon's Private Stock and RCA albums are fantastic. His cover of "It's Only Make Believe" is magnificent.

[www.youtube.com]
Reply Quote
Bip
October 18, 2022 04:18PM
Had no idea of his passing, sorry to hear. Really dug his music. I started with “ bad boy”…. he just looked so goddamn cool on the cover, teenage Bip had to buy it and hear it what it sounded like. Still love that lp.

He was never really a part of the Stray cats-influenced rockabilly craze that came soon after in early 80s, was he…..but it wax Robert who got me to check out acts like Johnny Burnette and Gene Vincent

RIP
October 19, 2022 07:34AM
I always had time for Robert Gordon! I didn't hear about his death until yesterday. Variety is reporting the 18th. I liked his traditional approach to rockabilly and country. Like Middle C says, his cover of Conway Twitty's "it's Only Make Believe" was stupendous. The guy was a real baritone vocal powerhouse. I've got "Rock Billy Boogie" and "Fresh Fish Special" but am always looking for more. Anyone who was canny enough to bring in Link Wray and Chris Spedding to be his guitarist in the late 70s was really on the ball. And he had an SCTV appearance under his belt as well where he got to lip-sync his version of "Someday, Someway."

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
October 19, 2022 09:56AM
Let us not overlook his brief tenure in Tuff Darts. Not a deathless band, granted, but their version of "All for the Love of Rock 'n' Roll" with Gordon on the mic shows what they might have accomplished if he'd stayed on board. His replacement, Tommy Frenzy, looks like a poseur on the cover, and sounds like one in the grooves too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login