Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Gleaming Spires reissues

Gleaming Spires reissues
August 04, 2021 08:44AM
Omnivore Records is going to reissue the Gleaming Spires catalog.

More here.

I've never heard any of this band's music - hell, I wouldn't even know of their existence if not for the TP guides. But I'm sure some of you are fans.
August 04, 2021 11:15AM
Listenable, fun, usually smart-alecky new wave. Their single "Are You Ready for the Sex Girls?" caught my attention when it appeared in Revenge of the Nerds.
ira
August 04, 2021 11:50AM
I recently inventoried my record collection. All these '80s reissues are giving me serious deja vu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2021 11:50AM by ira.
Bip
August 04, 2021 12:37PM
… you know they come out with all these 80s reissues because they figure fans of that era are now all in their prime earning years and have money to blow.

….So what the heck did I do wrong?!? Was it all those records I spent my money on in the 80’s??

Yeah I like the Spires. Always connect their ‘songs of the spires’ lp with Baby Buddha’s ‘music for teenage sex’ and Los Microwaves ‘life after breakfast’…. three synth acts on the Posh Boy label that I always saw advertised in TP magazine

addendum: hopefully monk won’t mind if I direct you to his recent post on Gleaming Spires and Sparks Here

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2021 04:03PM by Bip.
August 06, 2021 08:09PM
Bip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Always connect their
> ‘songs of the spires’ lp with Baby Buddha’s ‘music
> for teenage sex’ and Los Microwaves ‘life after
> breakfast’…. three synth acts on the Posh Boy
> label that I always saw advertised in TP magazine

Me too! That was radical of Posh Boy to release stuff that wasn't hardcore, though they eventually formed a separate sublabel [I can't find the name of it right now] to correct such branding faux pas like having synth releases on "hardcore label Posh Boy."

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
August 06, 2021 07:49PM
Yeah, I got a submission today from the PR firm promoting this as I suspect they did a quick search and I was the freshest hit. I was just writing about how I really want to hear this music. I only had the "How To Get Girls Thru Hypnotism" 7" on Posh Boy bought on principle years ago and listened to only when I wrote that post last week. I was very impressed with what I heard. More electronic and darker than Sparks. A title like that sounds kind of Sparkian but the delivery was more anguished than arch. I'm happy that I can buy their whole oeuvre on the silver disc since Futurismo reissued "Songs Of The Spires" in 2014 but on LP only. That kind of stuff infuriates me If I wanted an LP it's easy enough to pick up used. Lots of good bonus materials, including the unreleased Bates Motel [precursor to Gleaming Spires] sessions as produced by…Andrew Gold?

[postpunkmonk.com]
August 16, 2021 08:21AM
Chewing through the promo packages right now and have heard albums one and two. Very different character to each, but really good. Their "Party" EP had a killer Power Pop version of ABBA®s "Does Your Mother Know" that's freaking wonderful. Should have been a huge hit.

[postpunkmonk.com]
September 11, 2021 07:07PM
Well, next week is Gleaming Spires week on the blog. Big reviews coming and I had an interview with David Kendrick who was a font of low-key charm. Had no idea he had Cheap Trick roots before going to L.A. at the behest of Kim Fowley for Venus + The Razorblades. That he ended up drumming for DEVO and Sparks was not just kismet. Real happy to have these Spires reissues. That's some pretty intense band beneath the surface.

[postpunkmonk.com]
October 07, 2021 09:37AM
This is not a band I know about but fans might want to read this new overview of the Omnivore re-releases:

[wilfullyobscure.blogspot.com]
December 24, 2022 08:46PM
Is there a Trouser Press reader who compiles playlists for the DC Public Library?

[dclibrary.freegalmusic.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login