Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: WSLR's InTransition: 2020.12.15

WSLR's InTransition: 2020.12.15
December 15, 2020 03:48PM
Live stream begins @ 9 PM Eastern // Archived playback for two weeks begins shortly after 11 PM

Playlist to follow after broadcast... (edited to add playlist)

0101 The Raging Nathans - Can't Relate
0102 Harijan - Skint

0201 Editrix - Chelsea
0202 Dale Crover - I Can't Help You There

0301 Albertine Sarges - Free Today
0302 Caithlin De Marrais - (Let Me Have A) Diamond Heart

0401 King Princess - PAIN
0402 New Bums - Billy, God Damn

0501 cEvin Key and the Subconscious Orchestra - Thirteen
0502 Park Hye Jin & Nosaj Thing - CLOUDS

0601 shame - Snow Day
0602 Tele Novella - Never

0701 Buke and Gase + So Percussion - Diazepam

0801 King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - If Not Now, Then When
0802 La Femme - Cool Colorado

0901 Lost Horizons feat. Kavi Kwai - Every Beat That Passed
0902 Soulwax - Empty Dancefloor

1001 brian jonestown massacre - as the carousel swings
1002 Departure Lounge - Mercury in Retrograde

1101 Arlo Parks - Caroline
1102 Jade Bird - Houdini

1201 Vapour Theories - Breaking Down (The Portals Of Hell)
1202 A Winged Victory For The Sullen - Desires Are Already Memories

1301 Space Cadet - Forever For A While
1302 GLADIE - Got nothing for ya

1401 TEKE TEKE - KODOMO NO KUNI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2020 06:28PM by the 801.
December 16, 2020 05:18PM
Another great show, 801. It started with an absolute bang, as the first three tracks were all scorchers. I believe you had played something else by Harijan recently, but it hadn't grabbed me as much as this one. You went on a space rock bend for a spell, and while it's not my primary area of interest, your choices were interesting. A Winged Victory for the Sullen certainly triggered a bad band name alert, but the actual track was interesting, and could easily pass as contemporary classical music.

You seemed to have dug a pearl from among the myriad of tracks posted by the Brian Jonestown Massacre; most of their stuff is pleasant but highly derivative, but the one song you chose really stands on its own. I also like the Jade Bird track; I had dismissed her as a one-hit wonder after her song "Uh Huh" received some significant airplay a couple of years ago, but this is the second song by her you have played in a couple of weeks that is really good, and her voice is magnificent as well. So, consider my mind changed.

Finally, the last block was also very strong; I actually beat you to that Gladie track, as I had stumbled unto it on Bandcamp a few days ago (that's a pretty rare happening). And though they may be from nearby Montreal, I had never heard of Teke Teke and have no idea what language they sing in, but I liked that closing song. Keep it up !
Reply Quote
December 16, 2020 07:01PM
I'm glad you liked the show, Philippe - the highs were definitely high and the lows were nowhere to be found as soon as I was able to weed out the Christmas songs, quarantine covers, candy-coated pop and death metal/screamo abrasions. There was even enough ambient space-rock left in the bin to let me stretch out for a change... winking smiley

Harijan got their first airing last week, and I almost passed on them this week. Good thing I didn't, though - the new song's great. Jade Bird is completely new to me with her song "Headstart" from a few weeks ago and this latest one ("Houdini") bodes well for the future yet-to-be-titled new album. Gladie was on my radar earlier this year when their debut full-length came out, so I was surprised to see they've released a clutch of EPs since that time. The single from TEKE::TEKE ticked all the right boxes (quirky, progressive, adventurous) and the b-side is even better, which is why they'll get another airing next week...
December 17, 2020 09:33AM
I forgot the New Bums had a new one out. That last one was the closest thing to the Jacobites we're likely to get since Nikki's (and now Dave's) passing.
Reply Quote
December 17, 2020 02:28PM
> The highs were definitely high and the lows were nowhere to be found
> as soon as I was able to weed out the Christmas songs, quarantine covers,
> candy-coated pop and death metal/screamo abrasions.

Sounds like the formula (if I may use that word -- maybe "guideline" is preferable) for a great radio show.

I have a friend who listens to my show regularly, and makes recommendations for songs/artists. Trouble is, his first love is metal -- the kind of metal with those Cookie-Monster-on-meth vocals. I keep telling him, it's not my thing. Still, he's a supportive guy, so I don't make much of an issue of it.
Reply Quote
December 18, 2020 11:20AM
I have a set of protocols and, by golly, I’m sticking to them! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
December 17, 2020 05:06PM
There's the odd passable quarantine cover out there, but I agree that most are unduly slowed down and acousticized (not a word, but you get my drift).
Reply Quote
December 18, 2020 11:21AM
zoo
December 18, 2020 10:13AM
I admit that I don't listen to the show, but each week I look up some of the songs on Spotify and find things I like. This week, I'm finding Lost Horizons quite interesting. For those that don't know (and I didn't until now), it's a project of Simond Raymonde from Cocteau Twins and some drummer I don't know. Each song on the album has guest musicians and vocalists. So far, I'm digging it!
Reply Quote
December 18, 2020 11:10AM
So long as I remember to post a playlist, you’re not not missing much show-wise I promise you. smiling smiley

The drummer is Richie Thomas of Dif Juz, Cocteau Twins’ label mates from the 4AD days. His collaboration with Simon Raymonde on Lost Horizons is pretty amazing and the new album is well worth anyone’s time...

Lost Horizons - In Quiet Moments

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2020 11:22AM by the 801.
December 18, 2020 02:06PM
> So long as I remember to post a playlist, you’re not not missing much show-wise I promise you.

Yeah, the same is pretty much true of my show.

My drummer friend (whom you may not have heard me mention before, 801) used to criticize me occasionally for being too subdued a presence on the air. "When you talk on the mic, I feel like I'm listening to a classical station. You're so dry, it gets dull." He kept saying I needed to liven things up. I told him the music should be the lively point; I wanted to be nothing more than "a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive."
Bip
December 18, 2020 02:31PM
Hey... have either of you ever heard Rodney Bingenheimer from KROQ from his early 80’s ‘Rodney on the ROQ’ show?

I’d only read about him, never actually heard him. I always thought he was probably some cool, hip, crazy guy who delivered black flag, agent orange, fear, circle jerks and the like.. the LA hardcore scene of the very early 80’s.

ANYWAY... about ten years ago someone on new wave outpost posted tapes from his show (cassette recorder to the radio). Rodney came across as one of the most introverted, awkward, dare I say nerdy voices I’d ever heard.

... but falling in the same category, made me take on a new appreciation for him.
Reply Quote
December 18, 2020 06:54PM
While I had heard of and read about Rodney Bingenheimer through the years, I never actually experienced him until I saw the 2003 documentary Mayor of the Sunset Strip.

Like you, I had all my preconceived notions blown to smithereens upon bearing witness to the phenom that is Rodney.
December 19, 2020 03:12AM
I've never heard Rodney's show, or seen the documentary about him. I've seen photos of him, but we're talking about a radio host here, so that means nothing. But yeah, that sounds like a documentary I must check out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login