Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: New Bob Mould

New Bob Mould
June 17, 2020 02:22PM
Has anyone heard the new Bob Mould? The fury and outrage is palpable. Unlike other songs of this type (e.g. Bad Religion) it's catchy.
June 17, 2020 05:10PM
It’s a rage-pop belter for sure. And to think it was recorded two years ago and failed to find a home on “Sunshine Rock” eye popping smiley
June 19, 2020 04:51AM
Thanks, love it! This plus the eXcellent new X album - the first with Billy Zoom since 1985 - has thrown me back to my youth, how great it was when giants like these would release new records. Mom telling me to turn that noise down...Good luck getting any homework done tonight after busting open the shrink wrap on a new Husker Du album.

But it also saddens me that there will never be new Ramones, Buzzcocks, Fall, Minutemen... Any other vets releasing good stuff this year?

I feel like I should get one of Blondie’s latest, but I have not heard anything from them that really grabbed me. Wonder if Devo will soldier on and record new stuff, like the Residents and Negativland have done this year, despite the deaths of prominent members...

Anyway, new X sounds like classic first-4-albums X, with the bonus of Billy playing more sax, and even piano:
[xtheband.bandcamp.com]
June 19, 2020 02:44PM
MrFab Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------
> But it also saddens me that there will never be new Ramones,
> Buzzcocks, Fall, Minutemen... Any other vets releasing good stuff
> this year?

The Psychedelic Furs, Boomtown Rats, The Dream Syndicate, Sparks, Yello,
Paul Weller, Redd Kross all have albums either out or soon to be released.
Elvis Costello and the Steve Diggle-led Buzzcocks have singles out; the late
Andy Gill’s Gang Of Four have a couple of posthumous EPs as well.
zoo
June 19, 2020 02:48PM
MrFab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any other vets releasing good stuff this year?

I can't say how good any of this is, but here are a few:

Paul Weller
Midnight Oil
Psychedelic Furs
The Waterboys
The Pretenders
June 22, 2020 11:26AM
MrFab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonder if Devo will soldier on
> and record new stuff, like the Residents and
> Negativland have done this year, despite the
> deaths of prominent members...
>
Jerry Casale is up for it but Mark Mothersbaugh is the holdout. Mark is more interested in his other projects.

As for new stuff from old TP artists, Wire put out two (!!) albums this year. "Mind Hive" came first and is another worthy addition to their catalog. The second one - "10:20" apparently is like "Change Becomes Us" where Wire rerecorded a variety of old songs in the style that they have been playing them live. I haven't heard this one yet.

I got to see Wire just before everything got shutdown and both Graham Lewis and Colin Newman seemed more relaxed that I had seen before. They actually (gasp) made some jokes!
July 13, 2020 02:33PM
The next single is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bygb9bTd__U
Reply Quote
June 19, 2020 11:56AM
I've heard the full Mould album, and it's quite good. SUNSHINE ROCK was extremely good as well, but it lived up to its title. Political anger has done wonders for Mould: BLUE HEARTS sounds more punk than Mould has since Husker Du were on SST.
June 19, 2020 07:17PM
New album by The Vapors too!
June 19, 2020 07:26PM
No way!

Ha, thanks gang. Gotta check out some of those geezers. And there was the 'Paisley Underground' reunion album. Was all set to buy it when the record stores all closed.

Tho, i dunno...a Shelley-less Buzzcocks just doesn't seem right...
June 20, 2020 09:51AM
I heard the new Bob Mould single and didn't find it as great; it was maybe too literal and direct. The best political songs can't be overly literal; there needs to be a bit of ambiguity, doesn't there? I feel the same about the new Public Enemy single about Trump. They've done some of the best political anthems of all time ("Fight the Power," "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos," "911 is a Joke") but their new song about Trump "STFU" is not a jam.
June 20, 2020 07:53PM
That may be true, but I cranked up the noize and couldn't make out a word he sang, heh heh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login