Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Long time lurker, first time poster...

Long time lurker, first time poster...
September 06, 2019 11:55PM
I cannot believe it has taken me until now to create an account & post anything of substance to this board. For the record, I was *ahem!* exposed to Trouser Press via my brother's acquisition of then-current issues back in the late 70s/early 80s, glommed onto the 'Record Guides' from the 80s into the 90s, and have regularly browsed the message board for most of the 00s to present. All the while, it's been a mad rush of listening to & following virtually every single artist ever uncovered and profiled by what I have considered to be the ground-zero bible of 'alternative music'.

Like Delvin, I am a DJ at my local community FM radio station (WSLR Sarasota FL) where I present a curated two hour 'new music' program called 'InTransition' every Tuesday night @ 9 PM (Eastern). My credos are 1. More music, less talk, 2. Give female artists an equal voice, 3. Never play the same song twice & 4. Songs are no older than 2 months since release. The show page isn't much at the moment, but there's always the two most recent broadcasts available for on-line playback as well as show-by-show playlists for any archivists interested in what has gone out over the airwaves and internet since June 25th of this year...heck, there's even iOS & Android apps for your smart devices. What a world...

Thank you ALL for being here and for allowing me to chip in my own 2 cents. This feels like home more than ever... smiling smiley

Post Edited (09-06-19 21:32)
September 07, 2019 06:13AM
Welcome, 801! I definitely will be checking out your show soon.
September 08, 2019 09:32PM
Thank you, Delvin - I've enjoyed listening to your own 'Twenty Flight Rock' on the KSER replayer and I'm always amazed at how effortless you make it all sound...
September 07, 2019 05:11PM
Hey dude, glad you finally introduced yourself! Only playing tracks released in the last 2 months is pretty impressive. I'm still catching up on '50s music, hehe.

Oh, and as an Eno fan, I appreciate your handle. (hums "The True Wheel" to himself..)
September 08, 2019 09:52PM
Thank you, Mr Fab - I appreciate all that you do with WFMU's 'Sheena's Jungle Room' and the blogging that led up to it.

As for my handle, it was my 'nom de radio' over 25 years ago when I hosted WWUH's 'All Night Show' every Saturday morning from 3 to 6 AM. I've dusted it off once more for my current gig with WSLR's 'InTransition'. I'm forever being asked about its significance and I'm all too happy to turn folks onto Eno as a direct result of their curiosity...
September 09, 2019 01:18PM

I'm forever being asked about its significance 
I bet A Certain Ratio got that a lot too.
September 09, 2019 02:26PM
You're very kind, 801. I definitely don't subscribe to your Rules #3 and #4 (which isn't to say I don't respect them). My approach, I'd say, takes in more of the whole spectrum of rock -- rarely-heard tracks from well-known groups, and deserve-to-be-well-known tracks from rarely-heard groups. But I do my best to stick to Rule #1, and I'm always glad to give air time to female artists who rock. (I'm planning something big on that theme, in fact, in two weeks.)

I guess my only real hard-and-fast rule is: Keep it lively. After all, if a listener is tuning in on Friday night, he or she deserves to be shown a good time. (That was especially important to me when 20FR was a late-night show.)

September 10, 2019 12:19AM

I guess my only real hard-and-fast rule is: Keep it lively.

That's a rule I can really get behind. It's a good thing I'm on Tuesday nights at 9 while expectations are low. I do try to mix it up and make it worth anyone's while whether they tune in from the very start or happen to stumble onto it halfway through
zoo
September 09, 2019 03:32PM
Welcome!

The great STEVE and myself are fellow sunshine staters, BTW.
September 09, 2019 11:59PM
Thank you, zoo.

I've been based in Sarasota since moving here from Connecticut in 2001 and I'm STILL experiencing culture shock on a nearly daily basis...
BCE
September 10, 2019 03:05PM
It's a good thing I'm on Tuesday nights

Well, I'm still on "Tuesday time" vis a vis new release were on Tuesdays up until a few years ago -- I still haven't jumped on the "Friday new releases" bandwagon.
September 10, 2019 09:38PM
I totally forgot about the shift from Tuesdays to Fridays for new releases.

Synchronicity works in mysterious ways...
September 14, 2019 10:04PM
It's an honor to welcome you aboard. Hope to meet you at The Chameleons Nov 5 show. You probably already know, but in case you don't, there's a rabid Mark Burgess
fan club here. Wan't us to abduct you? Just say the word.

Post Edited (09-14-19 19:05)
September 16, 2019 12:42AM
Thanks, STEVE - unfortunately, Chameleons Vox at the Crowbar is the same night as my radio show so I'm going to have to give it a miss...along with Stiff Little Fingers at the Orpheum that very same night. Ugh! sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login