Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Joe Jackson and Bob Mould in DC (separately)

Joe Jackson and Bob Mould in DC (separately)
February 15, 2019 07:50PM
I caught Joe Jackson on the third night of his "Fool" tour. Besides playing songs from the new album (a fine addition to his catalog), Jackson was also celebrating 40 years making music and chose an album from each decade to showcase - Look Sharp (70s), Night and Day (80s), Laughter and Lust (90s) and Rain (2000s). Jackson explained that unlike previous shows where he experimented with songs, these songs were going to be fairly straight versions of the recorded versions (though 'Another World' and 'Real Men' were expanded considerably). What this meant to most long time fans was that Jackson played "Steppin' Out" as it was heard back in 1982. His explanation for never playing it this way was that in `82, he played the entire song by himself and he wasn't sure he could replicate it but I'd always heard it was because he was forced to play the song on the record for commercial reasons and he played it on tour the way he wanted to play it. In any case, drummer Doug Yowell accompanied the drum machine on snare, guitarist Teddy Kumpel pushed the buttons for the bass synthesizer and Graham Maby played glockenspiel. They acquited themselves admirably; Jackson was the one the screwed up. I guess this being the third night out on tour, he hadn't still gotten used to faster pace of the song than what he was used to playing it at and as a result, he kept missing the lyrics! Still great to hear the song. If you're a fan, I recommend seeing him on this tour.

About a week later, Bob Mould kicked off his Sunshine Rock tour in DC. At the beginning of the show, Mould stepped up to the microphone, announced we were first show of the tour and away they went. Pretty much nonstop for an hour and half. Even with nine songs from the new album, Mould managed to touch every point of his career: Hüsker Dü, Sugar and solo stuff. At times, I needed a break from the sonic onslaught (good thing I had my earplugs). Mould and band (longtime mainstays, Jason Narducy and Jon Wurster) were energized from the start and looked like they could have played for another hour. After the main set, the band left the stage and Mould stared out at the audience for a few minutes, then launched into "Never Talking to You Again", pretty awesome.

Opening for Mould was Titus Andronicus, a band I heard a lot about several years ago but never took the time to check them out. They had their fans and they were loud but I just wasn't able to get into them. Frontman Patrick Stickles did make me laugh when after they played a song from their first album, he said that song was nine years old, so they weren't a new band. I guess then he remembered who they were opening for and said well of course, nine years ago Mould was on his tenth solo album, so they weren't the aged veterans on this bill.

Setlists
Joe Jackson
Alchemy (intro)
One More Time
Is She Really Going Out With Him?
Another World
Fabulously Absolute
Dave
Strange Land
Breaking Us in Two
Stranger Than Fiction
My House
Real Men
Rain (Beatles cover)
Invisible Man
Wasted Time
Fool
Sunday Papers
King of the World (Steely Dan cover)
You Can't Get What You Want (Till You Know What You Want)
Ode to Joy
I'm the Man
Encore:
Steppin' Out
Got the Time
Alchemy (reprise)

Bob Mould
Hoover Dam
Your Favorite Thing
See a Little Light
Sunny Love Song
I Don't Know You Anymore
The Descent
Thirty Dozen Roses
The Final Years
Sinners and Their Repentances
Western Sunset
Sunshine Rock
Hey Mr. Grey
Moving Trucks
If I Can't Change Your Mind
I Fought
Sin King
Voices in my Head
Lost Faith
Come Around
Irrational Poison
Something I Learned Today
Chartered Trips
Never Talking to You Again
Love Is All Around
Makes No Sense at All

February 17, 2019 12:53PM
It's always fun to see these setlists from artists who have been around a long time - particularly that Mould one.

That's a really good setlist and especially you can tell how much The Silver Age trio of albums and the songs he cherry picked not only has reinvigorated him but how much those records mean to him, this lineup, and fit into his career overall.

February 17, 2019 02:11PM
Did Mould mention Grant Hart?
February 18, 2019 05:08PM
No mention of Hart. With the exception of Mould introducing the band members, it was strictly all music.

February 19, 2019 08:46PM
Last time I saw him in DC he was unusually voluble about politics...
February 22, 2019 03:36AM
He did do Hart’s “Never Talking You Again” from Zen Arcade, though...which seems like a tribute on a couple of levels.
February 22, 2019 05:57PM

He did do Hart’s “Never Talking You Again” from Zen Arcade, though...which seems like a tribute on a couple of levels.

Wow...i didn't pick up on that. Well spotted, sir...
March 15, 2019 04:01PM
I caught the classic "Minute To Pray..." Flesh Eaters (plus Julie Christensen) line-up last night (...who, I will say, were really great -- I never thought they'd make it back to the East Coast) and Porcupine, the trio that includes Greg Norton on bass, opened. They are doing Grant Hart's "Standing By The Sea," also from Zen Arcade, in their set.

Post Edited (03-15-19 13:04)
February 18, 2019 03:01PM
I wish I had been at the Bob Mould, but (a) it was Valentine's and (b) I had a cold.
February 20, 2019 02:10PM
Joe is playing in Seattle next week. His show sold out in a heartbeat, so I'll have to give him a miss this time around.

Bob is playing with his trio in April. Got my tickets.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login