Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: stranglers

stranglers
August 06, 2004 10:45PM
nobody's heroes made the fall and gang of four possible right? also, their first Lp is better than say, the boys or wires pink flag right? just wondering.
ira
August 07, 2004 11:09AM
i wouldn't say your influence tree is accurate, but the first album has a burly charm indeed
August 07, 2004 01:06PM
I vacillate every few years about these guys. On one hand, some of their music is unassailable, especially Straighten Out, IMHO the best songs ever relegated to a B-side. On the other hand, I think they were a bunch of hippie opportunists who really didn't believe in much at all. And the Doors influence is even harder to excuse than the scary misogyny that pervades their earliest (and best) stuff.
ira
August 07, 2004 07:00PM
like chucking sausage up the mersey tunnel... OUCH!
August 11, 2004 03:18PM
"And the First Commandment reads....that human flesh....is sacred....untilthereisnomore FOOOHHWD!!" Heavy, man.
ira
August 11, 2004 10:56PM
i want to meet whoever thought it was a good idea to use "Golden Brown" in an American french fry commercial... i always thought it was about beer until someone hipped me it was a drug song. in any case, not exactly the right moral tone to sell kids salty snacks
August 12, 2004 12:29AM
brown equals heroin? Maybe...

Golden Brown

The Stranglers

Golden brown texture like sun
Lays me down with my mind she runs
Throughout the night
No need to fight
Never a frown with golden brown
Every time just like the last
On her ship tied to the mast
To distant lands
Takes both my hands

Golden brown finer temptress
Through the ages she's heading west
From far away
Stays for a day

Never a, never a, never a frown
With golden, with golden brown
August 12, 2004 01:39AM
I don't see it. Next thing you'll say is that "Another Girl Another Planet" has an unsavory subtext.....

Only slightly off-topic, I've believed for many years now that "TV Eye" was inspired by a cat's rear end. I have never seen this verified anywhere. Is this accurate?
August 12, 2004 11:56PM
T.V eye, according to the band, is Tight Vagina and refers to the feeling that camel toe has captivated enough of your attention that it is staring back. (heh-heh...the frickin' Stooges, man!)

The above song is about heroin beyond a doubt. I'll do a post for fun...
August 12, 2004 11:51PM
or...how about the current 'woman's product' commercial that uses the La's heroin song 'there she goes again' - hilarious! OR the multitude of commercial that use Lust For Life and edit right before the 'liqour and drugs...sex machine...strip tease' part? (to wax philosophical: Is it satisfying to have our culture represented by our peers who are now infiltrating marketing OR does it make you feel dirty and co-opted?)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login