Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Mary Margaret O'Hara

Mary Margaret O'Hara
March 22, 2004 07:17PM
Does anyone know if Mary Margaret O'Hara's album Miss America is available on CD? I've never been able to find it. Thanks.
David Murphy

LMG
March 23, 2004 11:54AM
Amazon in the UK lists it as available on Koch CD379192, but not currently in stock. Copes are available through two dealers, one in Miami and one in Spain.

Is she any good? The only thing I know about her is that she signed to Virgin in 1984 and they put her in the studio with Andy Partridge in November of that year.

The two did not get on at all, so she left and he called in the rest of XTC, using the studio time to record the first Dukes of Stratosphear mini-album.

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones." - John Peel
March 25, 2004 04:27PM
Thanks for the info. Apparently, they've recently reissued everything, and I hadn't checked. I guess the only legit comparison to O'Hara would be Kristin Hersh of the Throwing Muses, although O'Hara might be considered harder to listen to. Miss America is a very interesting album -- sometimes enjoyable, sometimes baffling, sometimes frightening. I guess that's a pretty good recommendation. Thanks again.
May 28, 2004 09:21PM
I saw Mary Margaret O'Hara on TV here in a program called Big World presented by Andy Kershaw and I thought she was quite good.She wore a great dress,a proper full skirt sort of thing and the song Dear Darling was a nice country flavored song.
She only made the one album which was thankfully not called MS AMERICA otherwise I would have avoided it.
Apparantly she's a Canadian and here they may be a problem with her name as the Irish singer Mary O'Hara is quite big there at least she was in the 70s and 80s.
Her stage act seemed quite odd with her movements totally off kilter with the music.
Only other record she made was an EP of Christmas songs.
Where she gives White Christmas a right seeing to

Richard Astley-Clemas
July 10, 2004 10:35AM
i think it is a a great album, and we all know she is Catherine's--from home alone and sctv--sister, right?
July 21, 2004 12:25PM
Hello Michael, If youre right about who she is, (i think you are) then she was a member of the legendary LEMON TWINS in the great SCHMENGES movie from '83.
July 22, 2004 09:05AM
who knew, but yes

John Candy .... Yosh Shmenge/Pa Shmenge
Eugene Levy .... Stan Shmenge & Ma Shmenge
Dave Thomas .... Narrator
John McAndrew .... Val Babbyit
Rick Moranis .... Linsk Menjuvic
Robin Duke .... Lemon Twin
Catherine O'Hara .... Lemon Twin
Mary Margaret O'Hara .... Lemon Twin
July 22, 2004 03:31PM
The pride of Lutonia!
August 03, 2004 08:10PM
If you haven't found it and are still looking, e-mail me and I will get a burned copy to you.
August 06, 2004 02:55PM
a funny thing happened to me on the way to the turntable...I was listening to the beautiful "pour down like silver" Lp but i couldn't stop laughing out loud because i kept thinking about a mighty wind's "mitch and mickey" while it was playing. oh, those darned folk subversives!
August 07, 2004 07:33PM
Thanks to everyone whose sent e-mails, etc. Decided to keep the LP on the turntable another month... In regards to Mitch and Mickey, I think When You're Next To Me is one of the greatest songs ever written and performed. It may have been an attempt to parody those sorts of love songs, but it actually rises above all of them as a beautiful standard. Unintentional or not, it works incredibly well.
David Murphy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login