Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Move over Jimi and let (XXXX) take over

Move over Jimi and let (XXXX) take over
July 06, 2005 02:50PM
who are the best young guitarists out there?

under 30?
July 08, 2005 07:54PM
Boy, this post kind of slipped under the proverbial radar ... Guess everyone's too worried about sitcoms at the moment.

It's hard, though, to think of many up & coming guitarists (in rock, at least) as the "best." Perhaps it's because most rock, nowadays, values impact above virtuosity, and ensemble playing over instrumental showboating. This isn't bad, necessarily, and it doesn't disqualify a guitar player from being considered a good player. It's just hard, though, to think of such a guitar player in the same light as a virtuoso like Jimi.

FWIW, I've seen Derek Trucks perform three times, and have been very impressed by Mr. Trucks' playing. He's the son of Allman Brothers Band drummer Butch Trucks. Nowadays, young Derek (all of 26 years old) tours with the Allman Brothers, when he's not leading his own group.
July 09, 2005 01:36AM
I think Delvin put his finger on why this post didn't get much response - there doesn't really seem to be a whole lot of young guitarists out there that anyone is too excited about. Out of curiosity I checked the Guitar Player magazine website, and it looks like Keith Richards appears on the cover of the current issue and the main artist featured on the webpage is Steve Vai - not exactly new blood. The only fairly newish one who turns up without a whole lot of clicking around on the site is the guy from the Kills.

That said, I'm really impressed with Anita Robinson from Viva Voce. (so impressed I managed to mis-identify her husband Kevin as the band's main guitarist in my entry for them on this site. Oops.) I got to see them live recently and she's quite the guitar goddess - she pulled all sorts of interesting noises out of the thing. I think she's probably over 30, though not by much.
July 11, 2005 02:27PM
I've been a big fan of The Donnas for some time now (since *Get Skintight*), and Allison Robertson's guitar playing never fails to satisfy me. Sure, it's cut out of the classic Angus Young/Steve Jones bolt of cloth, and it can be about as surprising as a six-pack of your favorite beer. But that never stopped anyone from buying another six-pack.
July 11, 2005 08:48PM
i know two people here who would agree

me and satchmykel--i'm a recent convert (thanks to satch) and it's pretty amazing stuff, and never sounding the same, from one project to another disparate project
July 11, 2005 09:54PM
I like the Dickinson kids in the North Mississippi All Stars, they raise quite a ruckus live. Um, let's see who else......how old is Jeff Beck, because he's pretty good. smiling smiley

July 11, 2005 11:50PM
been listening all day to the re mastered truth

awe inspiring
July 10, 2005 02:56AM
shalini chatterjee and mitch easter!

what? at least they're both younger than baker! winking smiley
July 10, 2005 10:26AM
hey!

mitch MUST be my age!!??
July 11, 2005 03:23PM
He's not under 30, but I think Nels Cline is a pretty amazing guitarist. I'm not a guitarist, but for some reason his playing stands out to me as really innovative and versatile.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login