Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I think you're very...

I think you're very...
January 10, 2021 03:42PM
The back cover of TP #48 (March 1980 - Joe Strummer on the front cover) featured an ad for the first Flying Lizards album. At the top of the ad is the line "I think you're very" from the song "TV." On my household's copy, the word "long" was written after "I think you're very." On a friend's copy, it said "nice."

Did anyone else have a copy of that issue, and if so, did it have such a message? On the image for that issue reproduced in the Magazine section on this site, it's blank - just "I think you're very", just like the song.

This is a mystery I've wondered about for years. Was there someone at TP (or the printer) writing messages on the backs of every copy of that issue? Or were there multiple different versions of the back cover printed (which would be an ungodly expense for Virgin to have multiple printing plates just to promote the damn Flying Lizards, but who knows?) or did my brothers and their friend buy their copies at a store that had a bored staffer that decided to liven up the back covers of that issue?
Re: I think you're very...
January 10, 2021 04:00PM
I suspect you're right about the bored record store clerk, but god, I hope the answer is that it was the printer.
January 10, 2021 05:35PM
Either way, nice to hear from you, dude.
Hope you're good.
Reply Quote
ira
January 10, 2021 10:31PM
wasn't me and it wasn't the printer or virgin. when you say written, do you mean handwritten? seems like a few folk found the invitation tempting...
January 11, 2021 02:21AM
It looked handwritten, but very neat and precise handwriting that could've conceivably been a printed font. I reckon that the evidence leans towards the bored store employee theory, then - an employee with very good penmanship.
Bip
January 11, 2021 06:50AM
I have that issue. Dug through the attic last night to verify... alas, it’s blank. Boo hiss!
ira
January 11, 2021 10:01AM
TPAnon conspiracy thinking afoot...
January 11, 2021 08:53PM
As soon as I saw the subject, that FLying Lizards song was the first thing I thought of. Really didn't think that would actually be the subject. Such a great tune, and as twisted as any "blues" song ever. At least until The Resident's latest. Or this:
[williamshatner.bandcamp.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login