Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets in Seattle

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets in Seattle
March 16, 2019 11:34PM
Terrific show at the Paramount Theatre Wednesday night! Nick's five-piece band did a thoroughly great job delivering some fine selections from Pink Floyd's pre-*Dark Side* history. Pacing of the show was great, and we sat right in front of the soundboard, so the audio quality was excellent.

Nick undoubtedly is the most overlooked member of Pink Floyd, but this show brought his contributions into higher relief. He's never been a manic drummer, along the lines of Keith Moon or John Bonham; his playing always has been about finesse. He brings a real sense of texture to the rhythms.

He told the audience, "I honestly don't remember ever performing these early songs with Pink Floyd here in Seattle ... but I suppose that's all right, because if any of you did see Pink Floyd back then, you probably don't remember it either." Gary Kemp told the audience that he'd seen Pink Floyd at Wembley in 1974, arriving extra early to get right in front. "As an aspiring guitarist, I fully expected to spend the evening watching David Gilmour. But I found myself paying much more attention to Nick Mason ... probably because he was the only member of the band who was moving at all."

The light projections onto the backdrop were pure Sixties vintage psych -- all oily blobs and amorphous moving shapes. (My friend Bill leaned toward me at one point and said, "This reminds me, I need new windshield wipers.")

SETLIST:
Interstellar Overdrive
Astronomy Domine
Lucifer Sam
Fearless
Obscured by Clouds
Remember a Day
Arnold Layne
Vegetable Man
If
The Nile Song
Green Is the Colour
Let There Be More Light
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
See Emily Play
Bike
Childhood's End
One of These Days

ENCORE:
A Saucerful of Secrets
Point Me at the Sky

The opening act was a young man from England who goes by the stage name Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly. Just him and an acoustic guitar. His songs are pretty good, but probably would sound better with a full band.

zoo
Re: Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets in Seattle
March 18, 2019 11:53AM
Now that's one show I really want to see! A couple of months ago there was a high quality version on a website that watched, so I at least got to see that. But I'd much rather see it in person. Good for you! I'm sure it was awesome.
March 18, 2019 12:19PM
My mind is still blown that GARY KEMP is playing guitar in Nick Mason's version of The Pink Floyd! The audacity of that fact astounds me. I'd love to see them, no doubt! [looks] DAMN! They are in Akron the night after we see Mott The Hoople in Cle! We're coming home [from Akron, no less] on the 8th but have taken the 9th off to rest - but… can't swing the $250 in tickets like that [snaps fingers], damnit!!

Post Edited (03-18-19 09:28)

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
March 18, 2019 05:34PM
Bassist Guy Pratt is another standout in this band. He's had a very long career, starting as the bassist in Icehouse, and going on to session/touring work for a wide variety of artists (including the later, David Gilmour-led version of Pink Floyd). He's also the late Richard Wright's son-in-law.

He told the audience about being part of Gilmour's band (outside of Floyd), and rehearsing for an upcoming tour. At one point, David asked the band members to suggest songs they'd like considered for the setlist. Pratt spoke up and asked, "How about if we play 'The Nile Song'?"

Gilmour's response: "How about if you find another band to play in?"

March 18, 2019 06:56PM
Guy Pratt's another reason to enjoy Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets. He's a New Wave MVP bassist for the astonishing first 5-6 years of his career where I seem to have bought everything he touched, but also his highly enjoyable autobio "My Bass And Other Animals," based on his one-man Fringe Festival standup show.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login