Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LIVE 8

LIVE 8
July 04, 2005 04:06PM
What did everybody think about Live 8?
What were the highlights and the low points?

Post Edited (04-09-07 16:49)
Re: LIVE 8
July 04, 2005 04:33PM
I can't put into words how much I loathe Pink Floyd generally and I thought they were the highlight of the show - so there you go. smiling smiley Not enough young rock bands, not enough politically motivated artists to go with the lofty goal (Bon Jovi? Def Leppard? - How about a young, politically active metal band like System of a Down ???). Geldof is to be admired though, God bless him. The lowlight was Pete Doherty, a genuine talent who seemed lost in that duet with Elton John. I love the Libertines two albums to death and that was heartbreaking to me. I don't think it will have much effect on the G8 or in raising consciousness because there was clearly a disconnect between the message and the event presentation this time out - sadly. The MTV coverage, if I'm not mistaken ended, with the Philly correspondent saying "Let's go get a cheesesteak" - as crass and inappropriate a comment as is imaginable given the nature of the event.

Post Edited (07-04-05 14:24)
ira
July 04, 2005 05:44PM
the company i work for was the US broadcaster of the show, so it was a logistical behemoth that took every resource available to me, my colleagues and my staff to pull it off. although i spent 14+ hours on it Saturday, i'm only first getting around to the music.

Highlights so far:
Coldplay+Richard Ashcroft doing "Bitter Sweet Symphony"
some of Brian Wilson's set
Roxy Music
Neil Young
Pink Floyd (hate 'em, but they *were* on point like nobody else)
Some of the Cure
July 05, 2005 07:01PM
I didn't see Pete Doherty and Sir Elton but, if the following statistic is anything to go by, Pete's performance was indeed a bit of a letdown. From the BBC:

"According to music retailer HMV, sales of Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd rose 1,343% on Sunday - compared to sales for the previous Sunday…. Not every act has benefited, however. Pete Doherty's former band The Libertines saw sales of their Up the Bracket album drop by 35% in HMV stores."

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4651309.stm)

July 09, 2005 10:48PM
Some people are famous for being famous.
Watching Paul McCartney and out jumps George Michael.

Post Edited (04-09-07 16:50)
July 10, 2005 02:43AM
maybe sometimes paul likes to get his dick sucked by a two-legged person?

oh stop!
July 05, 2005 02:11AM
I knew I saw our beloved Editor in Chief on TV. That'ud have to be my highlight. Thank you Ira!
ira
July 05, 2005 11:35AM
nope, wasn't me. i was behind a desk in nyc all day
July 05, 2005 11:42AM
Compare some line-ups:

LONDON - Annie Lennox, Coldplay, Elton John, Madonna, Paul McCartney, Pink Floyd, REM, Snow Patrol, Stereophonics, Sting, Travis, U2, UB40, Velvet Revolver, The Who, Youssou N'Dour, Killers

BERLIN - A-ha, Audioslave, Bap, Brian Wilson, Chris De Burgh, Die Toten, Hosen, Green Day, Wir Sind Helden, Roxy Music

PHILADELPHIA - Black Eyed Peas, Bon Jovi, Dave Matthews, Destiny's Child, Jars of Clay, Jay-Z, Keith Urban, Linkin Park, Maroon 5, Rob Thomas, Stevie Wonder, Toby Keith, Will Smith

TOKYO - Bjork, Def Tech, Dreams Come True, McFly, Good Charlotte

TORONTO - Barenaked Ladies, Bruce Cockburn, Bryan Adams, Bachman 'Cummings" Overdrive, Deep Purple, Gordon Lightfoot, Jet, Motley Crue, Our Lady Peace, Tom Cochrane, Tragically Hip

Personally, nothing matches my loathing for Rob Thomas or Dave Matthews...
Green Day doing Queen came off OK.
Which city would you have selected?

(NP > Nice - Apple Pie)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login