Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: The Standells on the Munsters

The Standells on the Munsters
June 05, 2007 07:36PM
Watching the Munsters on TVLand right now, and am surprised to see the Standells making a guest appearance. Why do I not remember ever having seen this? So far it's great - Eddie plays one of their records and it makes smoke come out of Grandpa's ears and Herman begins pounding on the sofa in a frenzy!
June 05, 2007 09:40PM
Yeah, I remember that one. Too bad they had to put on Beatle suits and do "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" or sumthin instead "Sometimes Good Guys Don't Wear White."

Herman's beat poetry, however, is the MOST, daddy.
June 05, 2007 10:06PM
Very true.

"Ibbity bippity bippity sam
Ibbity bippity canal boat

Life is real, life is earnest
If you can't stand the heat
turn down the furnace."

Or something to that effect, anyhow.
June 06, 2007 02:14PM
I remember that episode. A truly great one. . . "Dirty Water" hit 11 or something on the charts in 66. Along with the Sonics' "Have Love, Will Travel," one of my favorite '60s garage rock tunes.

btw, thanks for reinforcing the stereotype of us TP guys by staying inside and watching vintage TV during the day. No really: THANKS.
June 06, 2007 03:14PM
"Dirty Water" is also played at Fenway Park every time the Red Sox win.
June 06, 2007 04:58PM
True 'dat!
July 06, 2007 07:58PM
Didn't somebody assemble hundreds of guitar players on the banks of the Charles River a few years back, and have everybody play "Dirty Water" in an attempt to break some Guiness World Record? I tried a quick Google and couldn't find a report. but I swear I heard this happened.
July 06, 2007 08:27PM
I think you were at the Head of the Charles regatta and had too much from the taps and imagined it. Oh, wait, that was me: 1988. Oh, sweet porcelain.
July 06, 2007 08:41PM

> Didn't somebody assemble hundreds of guitar players on the
> banks of the Charles River a few years back, and have everybody
> play "Dirty Water" in an attempt to break some Guiness World
> Record? I tried a quick Google and couldn't find a report. but
> I swear I heard this happened.

i think somebody did that with "smoke on the water" earlier this year.
June 07, 2007 05:02AM
> "Ibbity bippity bippity sam
> Ibbity bippity canal boat

Okay, that's not bad ... but it's no "Eep op ork ah-ah!"
June 19, 2007 09:16PM
spoken like "real gone gassers"
July 03, 2007 07:33PM
So I'm off work today because of a doctor's appointment (same reason I was off last time), turn on the tv, and the Standells are on the Munsters again.
July 03, 2007 08:01PM
13 stitches from jumping in between Sting and Copeland.
July 03, 2007 08:34PM
Ha. Would've been in worse shape than that if I'd tried doing that from my seat, which was a couple rows shy of sitting in a lawn chair looking through the skylight. But at least I have a dandy pair of binoculars.

Fiction Plane were unimpressive, btw. Dunno if Sting really did his kid any favors by dragging him out on tour after all, since cavernous hockey arenas are not really a good place for a little known band to connect with an audience.
July 05, 2007 05:08PM
i was in the hospital 2 weeks ago and said episode was on...............
July 09, 2007 05:48PM
I do remember the attempt to have the most guitars to play at once at the Hatch Shell in Boston several years ago & "Dirty Water" was the song. About 1200 guitarists did show up, but the record was 1300.
July 12, 2007 07:10PM
Thanks, Joe, you've reassured me that I still have two synapses to rub together, and enabled me to Google up a photo:

[www.guitarquar.com]
July 17, 2007 02:17AM
Sorry, just had to bump my favorite thread title to the top for another brief, shining moment.
July 17, 2007 02:20AM
i think you should just ask the moderator to change your user name to this
July 23, 2007 02:22AM
sorry.

can't help myself.

I LOVE this thread.

And I don't even have cable.
August 08, 2007 02:19AM
Sorry.
I just love it.
You wouldn't have a thread on this anywhere else on this great Internet.
August 08, 2007 06:08AM
Ha, well erik, allow me to prolong it thusly: The Standells were NOT from Boston. We Angelenos have true bragging rights as they were a Sunset Strip club band.

(So they could have sung "I love that dirty air...")
August 08, 2007 08:21PM
Yeah, right, Mr. Fab: And the next thing you're going to tell me is that the Bee Gees aren't from "Massachusetts" and the Bay City Rollers aren't from Michigan. Nice try, my friend.

I will read that book, though. That's right up my alley.
August 21, 2007 06:07PM
Have a great day, Erik!
August 21, 2007 07:40PM
I'll tell you what: I love it!
October 25, 2007 06:05PM

After hearing "Dirty Water" numerous times from Fenway on the TV last night, well: I just had to.

You've come a long way, baby.
October 25, 2007 06:45PM
Ha! I was going to bring this thread back for Halloween.
October 26, 2007 01:14PM
Erik, I've been hearing "Sweet Caroline" more times than "Dirty Water", but I've been turning the TV off as soon as the game is over.

Isn't it great to be a Red Sox Stooge or what?
October 26, 2007 04:45PM
It's somethin' else, Joe; I'm happy to be a stooge today....
October 26, 2007 06:50PM
Hey, Erik, I'm just curious, who do people in Albany root for in baseball? Can you show your Red Sox fandom in public or do you have to hide in safe places?
October 27, 2007 05:35PM
This is an interesting question, Joe.

Bill Janovic (sp?) from Buffalo Tom was staring out into the crowd at a street concert in Albany last month, and he (a Bostonite, obviously) said, "It's great to see Yankees and Red Sox hats living in harmony." That about sums it up. It's a real collision of New England and New York culture in Albany, with an equally strong Red Sox Nation and yankee contingent.
October 29, 2007 12:10PM
Erik, the Sox did it again. It's a beautiful time to be a Red Sox Stooge. Winning the World Series twice in recent memory certainly beats all that "curse of the Babe" & "haven't won it since 1918" jive. May "Dirty Water" play on for years.
August 08, 2007 11:19AM
Hey, I know that the Standells weren't from Bosstown, but the Dodgers don't play "Dirty Water" every time they win, do they? (Also, I noticed that's there's actually a book out about "Dirty Water" & how it became an anthem of Red Sox Nation.

UPDATE: The book is called The Standells and the Improbable Red Sox Victory Anthem by Chuck Burgess & Bill Nowlin, published by Rounder (yes,same people). I saw it in my local bookstores & it's available on Amazon.

Post Edited (08-08-07 09:25)
August 14, 2007 10:33PM
Speaking of L.A. cir '65,

Was the band LOVE all that? I've never heard them, but amg gloats on...

Were the Byrds the real shit then?

please, Chime in...
August 15, 2007 12:00AM
To me Love is the Television of the sixties. Some people think they are completely amazing, I like them but do not join in the chorus of accolades. Decent band, with decent tunes.
Re: The Standells vs Love
August 15, 2007 12:39AM
Yeah, decent is the word for 'em (I, however, love Television). I'm generally not really into that hippie-era stuff anyway. Love did some terrific rawkers like "7 & 7 Is" and "Little Red Book" as well as plenty of stuff on their most famous album "Forever Changes" with flutes and strings that I can take or leave.

I prefer the "Nuggets"-y garage stompers of the Strip: apart from Herman Munster's pals, there's The Seeds, The Leaves, Capt. Beefheart (yup, his first album is a classic of garage/blues/weirdness). Heck, even The Mamas and the Papas - love those vanilla harmonies, ala The Free Design, Beach Boys, etc.

I would take Love over The Doors any day of the week, tho.
August 15, 2007 11:07AM
I'm currently reading Dominic Priore's Riot on the Sunset Strip, which is about that era of '65-'66, which is pretty interesting so far. As for Love, I'm more into them than the others. A good start would be Rhino's 2-CD comp, Love Story 1965-1972 or in the alternative, look for Rhino's Best of Love vinyl comp which they put out circa 1980 in the used bins (there's also a single CD comp). As for the Byrds, their first three albums (Mr. Tambourine Man, Turn!, Turn! Turn!, 5Dimension) are great, especially the CD reissues w/the bonus tracks.
Love in LA circa 1965
October 27, 2007 03:02AM
STEVE wrote:

> Speaking of L.A. cir '65,
>
> Was the band LOVE all that? I've never heard them, but amg
> gloats on...

There are many reasons to know and love Love, first and foremost is the now deceased Arthur Lee who, in my humble opinion, was an absolute genius (the Lennon of the group), and with his cohort Bryan MacLean (the McCartney, so to speak) they inspired Jim Morrison to form a group that would be "bigger than Love".

They may not have sold millions of records but in fact they, like the Velvets, inspired most of their fans to form groups of their own! and... if you listen closely to Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy, you can hear Love/Arthur Lee influences ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE!

Strange but true...

[buddylove.us]
Re: Love in LA circa 1965
December 08, 2007 08:22AM
Arthue Lee don't care probly bout nuthin, inckludin that Steelers game on sundi. Ain't that right doug?
Re: Love in LA circa 1965
December 08, 2007 01:15PM
STEVE wrote:

> Arthue Lee don't care probly bout nuthin, inckludin that
> Steelers game on sundi. Ain't that right doug?

You're probably right!

[buddylove.us]
May 09, 2008 11:58PM
Gee Are Eee A Tee E 'THEN and NOW' BUDDY LOVE action on youtube as well,
I'm droppin the needle on that primo lost pop - now classik DAVCO platter tonite A.L. East fans.
And look out Grampa Al Lewis, and Jerry Lewis too while were at it...the Rays are comin to bat.

Post Edited (05-09-08 21:15)
Re: Buddy Love; Now and Then
May 10, 2008 12:34AM
Cryptic, but welcome message Steve. I'm honored that you still play that yellow LP.

Did you know that there's an unreleased album from 1983 that has just been issued? Of course you do... but if not, visit our website [buddylove.us] for the details...

Post Edited (05-12-08 21:24)

[buddylove.us]
May 10, 2008 05:16AM
i am sending money order as all of your represenatives are currnetly away from her/his desk @ the present .
Either that, or my bank is searching for 'current available funds'.

p.s.
'The Yellow Album' as it's come to be known did in fact start this party off down the path of righteousness.
Coupled with Translator, The Great Rock & Roll Swindle, Zombies ANTI WAR CLASSIC 'Odessey and Oracle' a very youthful (fifteen) Poly Styrene (for Hillary Clinton), Western Eyes' "Twenty Four Hour Protection", and lots of Television Personalities records inbetween...I kissed the girls and made them cry.

Buenos Tardes Amigos.

Post Edited (05-10-08 02:17)
May 10, 2008 11:12AM

'The Yellow Album' as it's come to be known did in fact start this party off down the path of righteousness.

If I started a party how come I wasn't invited?

PS Just Kidding!

Post Edited (05-11-08 00:15)

[buddylove.us]
April 23, 2010 10:21PM
know dats rite E,
esp since buddy love is still playin the boroughs.

i'm in fla, so when ya go see 'em shout out 'c'mon & ringo!
just for me.

Post Edited (04-23-10 19:43)
April 23, 2010 10:45PM
buy these guys a beer and put it on my tab.

LIVE in your neighborhood

August 15, 2007 06:09PM
The first three Love albums always will have a place in my collection. Same goes for all three Nuggets box sets on Rhino.

The third box does kind of stretch the concept a bit. But it's so jam-packed with choice selections that only a purist and/or curmudgeon would mind.
August 15, 2007 09:23PM
thanks for the drop, all you righteous dudes.
October 29, 2007 01:29PM
> If you listen closely to Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy, you can hear
> Love/Arthur Lee influences ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE!

Robert Plant never was hesitant to acknowledge Love's influence. In fact, he sang at a benefit for Arthur Lee, when Lee was diagnosed with leukemia.

Love's influence on Led Zeppelin
October 29, 2007 05:55PM
Delvin wrote:

> > If you listen closely to Led Zeppelin's Houses of the Holy,
> you can hear
> > Love/Arthur Lee influences ALL OVER THE FUCKING PLACE!
>
> Robert Plant never was hesitant to acknowledge Love's
> influence. In fact, he sang at a benefit for Arthur Lee, when
> Lee was diagnosed with leukemia.
>

I'm not the least bit surprised...

[buddylove.us]
December 04, 2007 09:20PM
Alright: Don't say I didn't warn you.
ps
December 04, 2007 09:59PM
With that Patriots defense of the perfect record last night, and with the Celts looking like they haven't in decades, could the DJ please cue up "Dirty Water"?

BAH-BAH-BAH, babah-BAH

Post Edited (12-04-07 17:59)
Re: ps
December 05, 2007 04:44AM
Did you know?
Customiser legend George Barris not only did BOTH Munsters cars but also Banacek's?
Thanks Wikipedia
April 23, 2008 09:31PM
Best thread ever. Let's celebrate spring in style--bring on da Standells on Munsters. You had to know it was coming.
April 23, 2008 11:59PM
Ah yes, it's Dirty Water time, although it seems that a lot of Sox players have come down w/the flu, the latest one being Dice-K. I did buy the book Love That Dirty Water & I'll be reading it soon & give my report in front of this class to perpetuate this thread.
April 24, 2008 01:29AM
I've got an eye doctor appointment in a few weeks, so I'm sure that episode will be on again soon. For some bizarre reason it seems to be on TVLand every time I go to the eye doc.
April 24, 2008 11:19AM
Jeez, every time I put TV Land on, it always shows Bonanza.
April 24, 2008 11:27AM
I look forward to the full report, Joe. I won't be buying it until it goes soft cover.
April 24, 2008 12:21PM
It is in soft cover, Erik, it's an original paperbbok, as Monty Python might say.
April 24, 2008 12:34PM
Dammit. I thought that was probably the case as I wrote it. Off to Amazon.
April 24, 2008 02:00PM
Hey maybe we can do a Book Club thing or something.
April 24, 2008 03:00PM
Only books about Boston sports lore, though.

Speaking of which: My grandfather was a local, rural politician in upstate NY and used to host a benefit where he would bring in sports figures to speak. Bob Cousy slept at my dad's house when my dad was kid. My grandmother put on a huge spread for breakfast and according to my dad all the Cous wanted was a cigarette and a black cup of coffee. A different era, I tell you.
April 24, 2008 04:33PM
Great story, Erik. Hmmm, maybe the Couz should have been in CIGARETTES AND COFFEE.

Speaking about "a different era", do you remember when pro athletes used to have real (as in paying the rent) jobs in the off-season? I think the last pro athlete that had a real job in the off-season was baseball's Ritchie Hebner, who was a gravedigger.

Also, it seems that your family are life-long New Yorkers, yet you're a big Boston sports fan. Are there many of you around?
April 24, 2008 06:26PM
As a little kid I lived in Brookline, Cambridge, Sommerville and Dorchester (peripatetic hippie mother) in the '70s over a several year period. One trip to Fenway, one diving catch by Yaz, and one homerun by Pudge changed my life.

As a high school kid in upstate NY in the '80s, I was an obsessive Larry Bird fan. But my people are NYers (Bronx on mom's side, upstate on my dad's). Albany is littered with Sox and Yankee fans; you get down in the Hudson Valley and lower and it's all Yankees. And that peculiar breed of NYer who follows the Mets.

Post Edited (04-24-08 15:26)
April 24, 2008 07:14PM
Thanks, Erik. I was just curious about the oppressed members of the Nation (or as the Fearless Leader of this site would say Red Sox Stooges) behind the Empire's Iron Curtain. I read that the guy who put the Ortiz shirt in the new Yankees Stadium was a Sox fan from Queens who grew up idolizing Jim Rice. You don't hear too much about NYC-born 'n bred Red Sox fans. The only one that I can think of is the film critic Jeffrey Lyons. I always thought that the malcontents will always gravitate towards the Mets.
HOLY S$^&*%!!!
April 24, 2008 06:28PM
I found it:

[youtube.com]

plus, beatnik Herman [youtube.com]

Post Edited (04-24-08 15:30)
Re: HOLY S$^&*%!!!
April 27, 2008 12:01PM
You're my own personal savior!

[buddylove.us]
April 26, 2008 10:15PM
May 01, 2008 12:45AM
As promised, here's my report on Love That Dirty Water! The Standells and the Improbable Red Sox Victory Anthem by Chuck Burgess & Bill Nowlin (the latter is one of the founders of Rounder Records, who also published the book), which I just finished.

Most of the book is about the Standells themselves and how "Dirty Water" first became a hit back in '66 (surprisingly, it first hit in Knoxville, TN & Orlando FL). There's a lot of interesting information about the members of the band and Ed Cobb, the former member of the Four Preps who produced them & wrote the song (it was about a night he had in Boston while touring w/the Preps). It also talks about how the song first got played in Fenway after a dramatic Opening Day win in 1998 & how it snowballed from there, culminating in the appearance by the original members of the Standells performing the song at Game Two of the 2004 World Series. There's also chunks of information on other areas involving music & the Red Sox, including the musical career of the late great Tony Conigliaro, who released several singles in the mid-60s & the song "Tessie", the song of the Royal Rooters, the original Red Sox fanboys, which was updated by the Dropkick Murphys.

I thought it was a enjoyable read. Reading about the Standells' career reminded me of That Thing You Do. And to bring this to the subject of the thread, among the many pictures in the book was a copy of the cast call sheet for the Munsters episode called "Way Out Munster" & a picture of the group w/the late great Fred Gwynn in Herman uniform cradling a Telecaster. It also seems that the idea of bringing the Standells to Fenway Park was apparantly start when a sportwriter & a Red Sox honcho were discussing The Standells on The Munsters. As the sportwriter said in the book, "Who would ever imagine there'd be a link between 4 Yawkey Way and 1313 Mockenbird Lane."
GREATEST TP forum THREAD EVER
July 22, 2009 02:41PM
nuff said.
Re: GREATEST TP forum THREAD EVER
July 22, 2009 03:41PM
Ha ha ha ha! Yes, I was expecting this creature would rise from the dead to stalk the living once again.

So let's put Brad's link to Munsters en español where it belongs:

[www.youtube.com]

Que ritmo!
July 22, 2009 07:21PM
The thread that refuses to finish unraveling!
July 22, 2009 08:23PM
Delvin wrote:

> The thread that refuses to finish unraveling!

Quick! Kill it before it multiplies!

[buddylove.us]
April 22, 2010 11:00PM
It's baaaaaaaaack.

Just when you thought it was gone. Best...thread...ever.
Amy Winehouse on the Munsters
February 13, 2012 07:32PM
Re: Amy Winehouse on the Munsters
February 13, 2012 11:10PM
Nice one, Fab! And it's great to see my favorite thread rise from the dead yet again. Mwwwwuuuhhhhaaaahaahaaaaa!
Re: Amy Winehouse on the Munsters
February 13, 2012 11:25PM
You funny!

[buddylove.us]
October 26, 2012 05:01PM
This seems to be as good a place as any to harrumph about the fact that instead of the Halloween episode of Community that should be on, tonight NBC will be showing Mockingbird Lane, the un-picked up pilot for Bryan Fuller's reboot of The Munsters.

The AV Club makes it sound surprisingly decent, but I don't really care. I just saw it as an excuse to drag this thread back to the top.
October 26, 2012 05:40PM
The thread of the dead!

('Mockingbird Lane' actually looks kinda cool, might check it out.)
I'm downstairs tonight and hear my wife singing in the shower, "Love that dirty water." Yes, she's from Boston. And in indication of her general cluelessness about music and popular culture, she would have no idea of the Standells' name or existence, or even - I was shocked - that the Red Sox play "Dirty Water" at Fenway Park.
October 26, 2012 07:54PM
Man. Just chiming in to say (yet again) how much I love this post.

Though I am with Brad in his disappointment, as Community is my favorite show on TV. Period.
February 12, 2013 11:53AM
Holy shit, what a thread.
RIP Dick Dodd, Standells singer and drummer. . .
November 30, 2013 01:06PM
This revival of the greatest thread ever is for Dick Dodd, Standells drummer and singer, most notably on "Dirty Water." May the Sox keep that voice alive... RIP.

Post Edited (11-30-13 18:04)
November 30, 2013 03:12PM
You had to awaken the sleeping giant, didn't you.

Post Edited (11-30-13 11:13)
March 31, 2014 04:29PM
It's back - Standells on tour

Love Buggs

March 31, 2014 07:33PM
Wow, no Left Coast dates. That's rather unusual, unless this is the first leg of a tour.

Of course, we're counting on those who can go see The Standells to do so, and to report back (on this thread, naturally).

November 12, 2015 02:05PM
A bit of new life to this thread!

Check out "Late Night Radio" by my friend and Colorado homeboy Dan Markell, featuring Standells guitarist Tony Valentino.

April 26, 2018 12:22PM
The latest issue of Ugly Things actually has an interview of Pat Priest, the second Marilyn Munster by Greg Prevost, as well as Standell Larry Tamblyn's memories of being on that Munsters episode.
May 14, 2018 06:47PM
This farce has gone on long enough. For the record brad reno stole the idea for this thread, when I, under the heading of "HIGH SCHOOL POP" mentioned the Standells on the Munsters, June 4, 2004 a full three years before. with that said, I'm going back to sleep.

January 20, 2023 04:15PM
The latest issue of Shindig! Magazine has a cover story about the Standells, which includes, naturally, their appearance in The Munsters.
Reply Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login