Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sgt Pepper at 40

Sgt Pepper at 40
June 01, 2007 08:38PM
Quit putting it down, or Silvio is going to take you out to the Pine Barrens and whack you. (I'm assuming it's that Steven Van Zandt...)

[www.cnn.com]
Re: Sgt Pepper at 40
June 02, 2007 12:11AM
Feeling kind of down tonight (I'll blame last night's random version). Thinking about Kirsty MacColl for some reason, which only makes me feel worse. Put on "She's the One (Live @the Hammersmith Odeon, 1975)" as I log on to the TP message board looking for uplift. The first thing I see is a link to Miami Steve's article about Sgt. Pepper's...

Nice. Weird, too. Just how I like it. Thanks, Breno!
June 02, 2007 11:44AM
I'm not the biggest fan of "Sgt. Pepper's" but I could muster a better defense of it than that article. (Not saying it necessarily needs a defense - who's attacking it? The naysayers are generally those that argue that it's not the best album of all time, not that it sucks).

"It was universally mind blowing at the time". Ok, fair enough - is that disputed by anyone?

Were "Strawberry Fields" and "Penny Lane" really "meant" to be on the album? I thought very consciously they were excluded - I am not sure though (?)

"The world was unified in its praise of and inspiration from the album as it has never been for anything before or since."

Ok, well there ya go. We all agree it's Art (capital A), if you don't agree you're a "mindless vulture". Nothing's more Rock & Roll than all of us having the exact same opinion on things after all.

But then again, I'm a "Rubber Soul" man myself........shrug.

June 03, 2007 10:40PM
According to the "Beatles Anthology" book, the lads themselves say that there was a conscious decision NOT to put "Strawberry Fields" and "Penny Lane" on "Pepper" - they wanted to give album buyers more for their money then rehashing singles.

Agree about the music-hall stuff, but I like "Mr Kite" - the Cage-ian strategy of chopping up tapes of calliope music always had a weird effect on me...
June 02, 2007 12:12PM
Sonically, Sgt. Pepper was an undeniable leap forward for the Beatles, and for rock as a whole. As far as the songwriting goes, however, the Beatles recorded more consistent albums, before and after. The album's best songs definitely have stood the test of time, but its more music-hall-influenced songs like "Fixing a Hole," "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite" and "When I'm Sixty-Four" just seem precious and irritating to these ears.

Give me Help!, Revolver or Abbey Road any day of the week.

Post Edited (06-02-07 09:13)
June 04, 2007 01:28AM
I remember the first time I heard "A Day in the Life".

Help, Revolver & Abbey Road might be better albums, but....
June 04, 2007 03:07PM
I know I may be in the minority here but I have always thought that Beatles for Sale was their best and the one I find myself listening to more than any other Beatle record. "No reply" and "I'm a loser" are two of Lennon's best and show him breaking away from Beatlemania. Lennon's "Rock and Roll Music" McCartney's "Kansas City", Ringo's "Honey Don't" and Harrison's "Everybody's trying to be my baby" all rank as the best cover's they have ever done. Even the song that many people cite as the worst ever Beatle song, "Mr. Moonlight", has a great aching vocal by Lennon that sells it for me. They certainly got more sophisticated after this but not necessarily better. Plus it's got "Eight days a week" on it.

BTW, my all time favorite Beatle song is "There is a place" off of Please Please Me.

Also, what do you all think of the new Smithereen's album "Meet the Smithereens!" (a recreation of the 2nd US Beatles Album).

Post Edited (06-05-07 11:14)
June 04, 2007 04:19PM
Well jothoma, as someone who got into the music bug listening to my big sister's Beatles records back in the day, I can understand why you like "Beatles for Sale" (the contents of which made up parts of "Beatles '65" & "Beatles VI" in the US for you young'uns out there). Heck, I would rather listen to "Beatles for Sale" than "Let It Be" or even "Abbey Road".
June 04, 2007 04:21PM
"For Sale," "With the. . . " and "Please, Please Me" are the only ones I consistently reach for these days.
June 20, 2007 03:20PM
the early records definitely have a zeal and a passion lacking in sgt pepper forward. i reach for them when i need a jolt of energy. the lads are so boisterous on all the '62 - '65 recordings...
June 20, 2007 07:24PM
...because they stopped taking the amphetamines in '66

Post Edited (06-20-07 16:55)
June 06, 2007 06:47AM
> Also, what do you all think of the new Smithereen's album "Meet the Smithereens!"

I prefer Meet the Residents.

June 06, 2007 06:31PM
I prefer "Beet the Meatles"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login