Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TP Alumni - Where are they now?

TP Alumni - Where are they now?
May 13, 2007 12:38PM
[www.comixfan.com]

I fondly remember a couple of great Ultravox and Joy Division articles that Steven Grant wrote for TP back in the day. Although it was his description of Joy Division as "basically a very good heavy metal band" or something to that effect that led me to buy the first Spandau Ballet album instead of CLOSER when I encountered both in Don's Records one day my senior year in high school. But I forgive him, since at that time for some reason everyone was saying Joy Division was metal. Never have figured that out, although as someone pointed out in another thread on this board, back in 1980 metal had a little different definition than it does now. But not THAT different...

In that same Joy Division article he also speculated that New Order would never achieve the same level of importance or influence as Joy Division, which could be scoffed at now, but in those pre-"Blue Monday" days, that seemed like a safe bet. I doubt that anyone on the planet (probably including New Order themselves) saw that second act coming.

I also seem to recall that he wrote an issue of DAZZLER way back when which had the voluptuous disco-loving mutant performing "Psycho Killer" and "I Don't Like Mondays," which was kind of odd, but cool.

I do have to say, though, that his new comic he's touting here sounds a bit similar to the Mel Profitt arc on WISEGUY. (sorry - just one more step in my quest for the title of Saddest Bastard on Planet Earth)

Post Edited (05-13-07 09:45)
ira
Re: TP Alumni - Where are they now?
May 14, 2007 09:28PM
i'm not even interested in comic books (save one: Howard the Duck), so that part of Grant's creative existence (which did, for a time, involve Howard: sheer coincidence) has never meant much to me (except maybe when he got the assignment to write a bio-com about the Pope, which I thought was a genius freelance deal), but if i may, Steven is a remarkable and fascinating fellow, and one of the many cool people I got to know through TP who enriched my cultural and social life (not my fiscal life, or me their's).
Re: TP Alumni - Where are they now?
May 15, 2007 12:38PM
Grant's always been a solid comic writer, and I've rarely come across his music work, actually. I do admire his political commentary a great deal, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login