Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: BANDS YOU USED TO LISTEN TO BUT DONT ANYMORE

BANDS YOU USED TO LISTEN TO BUT DONT ANYMORE
April 29, 2007 12:24AM
BANDS YOU ONCE USSED TO LISTEN TO A LOT BUT EITHER DONT SEEM TO CARE ABOUT NOW WHEN THEY PUT OUT A NEW CD OR DONT LISTEN TO THEIR OLD MUSIC ANYMORE.
April 29, 2007 12:25AM
talking heads
george clinton/p funk
marley/wailers
b 52's
April 29, 2007 01:11AM
monochrome set - brillance and contrast singles compilation - i think i over listened to that one.
pixies
toots and the maytals
gun club
specials
pil

i thought of albums my 13 year old 'should' listen to but i might not, such as bette bright, rain parade, 10,000 maniacs (my mother the war), the only ones, patti smith (horses)because i don't feel like buying the cd's.
April 29, 2007 03:26AM
How about bands you loved, and now you not only no longer listen to 'em, you hate 'em? Like...

The Smiths

and I'm sure I'm not the only one momentarily blinded by their musical brilliance and Morrisey's uniqueness, only to be eventually repulsed by his narcistic self-pity routine.

Post Edited (04-29-07 03:50)
April 29, 2007 02:50PM
I don't listen to alot of older stuff that I used to .........usually it's from overplaying or just moving on : Husker Du for one, and also Joy Division (brilliant, but they bum me out now, I used to find them thrilling), come to mind.

It doesn't say anything about their artistic worth though at all really. Now, on the other hand, Matthew Sweet is an artist that I look back on and I think I overrated back in the early 90s, so his newer stuff I feel sort of ambivalent about.

I also have this strange thing where as I've gotten older I reduce bands to 1 or 2 records. I love the Only Ones, but I really only ever play their BBC Sessions. I love the Ramones, and every few months "Rocket to Russia" gets a listen, but that's pretty much it. I could TALK about the good times I've had listening to these bands, and the worthiness of their records, but to actually play them today is kind of a different thing.

This has weighed heavily on my mind as we've moved into the digital age and I see tons of cds that I may think are great that I no longer have a desire to listen to and which could easily be changed into quick cash.

So far I've resisited the temptation, but.............

Post Edited (04-29-07 14:45)
April 30, 2007 12:54AM
i love the cows however
April 29, 2007 01:10AM
I was really into The Ramones in high school in the late 70's. I stayed with them up to Subterannean Jungle and never bought the later albums. No reason. Your question reminds me that I ignored their career after 1983.
April 29, 2007 01:28AM
since joey ramone died...

i've spent exactly one afternoon listening to ramones records. that was a year or so ago.

it's not that i don't care, it's more that i don't need to listen anymore. those songs and i are already one.

used to listen, don't care now:

new order
davie allan
thelonious monk
iron maiden
bb king
nirvana
billy karloff and the extremes
slovenly
bad religion
nrbq

interest waning:

paul westerberg
kat bjelland
half the amrep roster
rem
lou reed

didn't like then, do now:

laughing clowns
polyrock
mingus
yoko
rifle sport
April 29, 2007 12:57PM
"How about bands you loved, and now you not only no longer listen to 'em, you hate 'em? Like..."

I've said it many times before - I loathe, despise and detest Lucinda Williams now, and was once a huge fan. Still a fan of the s/t album and Sweet Old World, and can tolerate parts of Essence, but otherwise everything she's done beginning with Car Wheels should be buried at the bottom of the deepest, most remote outhouse in Turkmenistan.
April 29, 2007 03:24PM
I was a big fan of Elvis Costello from nearly the beginning (This Year's Model) to roughly about the time he had the album w/Burt Bacharach (Painted From Memory). I still bought CD's up to about The Delivery Man & I bought that used. I've since gotten rid of CD's like North & I haven't been interested in his newer stuff.
April 29, 2007 04:56PM
Basically stopped listening to REM after their IRS Records.
April 29, 2007 05:38PM
Descendents/All
Black Flag
Husker Du
Any hardcore for that matter... Pretty typical...
April 30, 2007 08:20AM
Fear
Echo And The Bunnymen
The Specials
Wasted Youth (UK)
Beastie Boys
The Passions

I feel a bit sad about this. I think I'll dig them out and give them a whirl.
April 30, 2007 05:23PM
One Band I used to love and I can't stand now is Led Zepplin. I know they don't really fit in the critical scope of this board but I used to live on their music. Now, twenty years after high school the only song I can stand by them is Tangerine and that is only because I associte it with the movie "Almost Famous". In college I was really into REM, New Order, Depeche Mode and the Cure. Although I still like those bands I don't really listen to them much anymore. However, I have picked up Echo and the Bunneyman and Psychedelic Furs which I never listed to at the time but I really love now, so I think it is just a matter of being just too familiar with their music and not the style.

One note on Matthew Sweet to respond to Mats84. He is a classic case of a decent songwriter who needs a partner to keep him interesting. When he was writing Girlfriend, Altered Beast and 100% fun with Robert Quine (RIP) and Richard Lloyd the music was amazing and their always surprising guitar work really complemented the pop melodies of Sweet's music. Without them his music just comes across as simple, uninteresting and a little saccharine.
April 30, 2007 09:13PM
Matthew Sweet can still bring it. Kimi Ga Suki is as good or better than any album in his canon. And it has Richard Lloyd.

I also used to be a huge Depeche Mode, New Order, Smiths fan. Part of it is the music speaks to you differently at 17 than 37. I've recently started getting back into the Smiths.
May 03, 2007 03:11PM
Nine Inch Nails. Saw them open for the Jesus & Mary Chain in '89 or '90, went on to enjoy Reznor & Co. (in spite of the lyrical content) for a good 5 years, then checked out on them completely. I feel none the worse for it.

The Sound
Echo & the Bunnymen
They Might Be Giants
Lava Love
Fishbone (although "Ghetto Soundwave" still pops up on the iPod now & again)
Richman/Modern Lovers

Re. Matthew Sweet: listening to Richard Lloyd's Field of Fire reissue led me to dig out some of Mr. Sweet's stuff for the first time in years. So, I'm listening to him again.
May 11, 2007 03:37PM
The Residents

I thought they lost it with "God in Three Persons", got it back with their Elvis stuff, and wandered into the wilderness thereafter.

Their endless series of "limited numbered collector's editions," corrected errors, box sets, etc. also has turned me off. They seem to try to put off getting their stuff heard, for the offset of higher per-unit income.
May 26, 2007 03:27PM
Depeche Mode; jumped ship after "Music For the Masses" and never looked back.
Jesus & Mary Chain; still break out "Psychocandy" from time to time, but I don't even listen to "Darklands" anymore, much less anything after that (well, does "Barbed Wire Kisses" count?).
Residents; folks who had it big time then lost it big time.
Scritti Pollitti; been rediscovering the "indie" stuff (now that it's readily available agan) and still listen to "Absolute" from time to time, but other (and later) than that (and this is from someone who admittedly wore out a copy of "Cupid & Psyche").
Various metal bands (Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Scorpions, etc.)
And while I still break out some ska records from time to time (original, 2-tone, early Toasters and Dance Hall Crashers, etc.) the monotony/bandwagon-jumping of many of the "third generation" bands helped to cripple the genre as a whole.
May 28, 2007 11:12PM
dead boys
adverts
rezillos/revillos
residents
madness
dr feelgood
May 29, 2007 09:52AM
Josie and the Pussycats
The Partridge Family
Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
May 30, 2007 08:43PM
They Might Be Giants
Primus
Fishbone
Georgia Satellites
drivin' n' cryin'
Living Colour
Rush
Ramones
Sex Pistols

Not that I'm likely to dispense with any of the records I own by these folks.

Post Edited (05-31-07 11:11)
June 19, 2007 09:24PM
lots of new zealand stuff.
bailter space
straightjacket fits
bats
clean
tall dwarfs
able tasmans

I COULD list more but they are all related anyway.

Post Edited (06-19-07 18:38)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login