Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Psycho

Psycho
March 08, 2007 05:50PM
So, I just picked up the Rhino re-issue of Elvis' "Almost Blue", with a jam-packed bonus disc featuring 27 additional tracks.

One of the tracks is Leon Payne's "Psycho" ("You think I'm Psycho, don't you, mama?..."). I've heard this song before (not by Elvis) and it's driving me (you should pardon the expression) crazy trying to figure out where.

Any ideas? Was there a semi-popular version of this song that I might have heard on the radio (or bought) in the late 70s/early 80s?

Re: Psycho
March 08, 2007 06:07PM
There was a band called The Sonics, who recorded a song called "Psycho" back in the 1960's. It's a garage band tune and rocks like a motherfucker.
March 08, 2007 06:37PM
Probably not the same song. Certainly not the same version I've heard before, which was more countryish than rocking.

Here are the original lyrics: [www.lyricsdepot.com]

It was written by this guy: [www.talentondisplay.com]

I'm pretty sure I heard this on the radio circa 1979-1980, but I'm fairly sure that it wasn't Elvis's version.

March 08, 2007 07:18PM
scratchie wrote:

> So, I just picked up the Rhino re-issue of Elvis' "Almost
> Blue", with a jam-packed bonus disc featuring 27 additional
> tracks.
>
> One of the tracks is Leon Payne's "Psycho" ("You think I'm
> Psycho, don't you, mama?..."). I've heard this song before (not
> by Elvis) and it's driving me (you should pardon the
> expression) crazy trying to figure out where.
>
> Any ideas? Was there a semi-popular version of this song that I
> might have heard on the radio (or bought) in the late 70s/early
> 80s?
>

first time i heard it was on the first beasts of bourbon album, the axeman's jazz. eddie noack's version made one of the wavy gravy volumes and jack kittel's version is on something else, but i can't remember what at the moment. hit the allmusic...
March 08, 2007 07:41PM
Good call, Satch. Allmusic doesn't have a sound clip of the Beasts of Bourbon's version, but 1984 is a little too late for when I think I heard it anyway. Jack Kittel's version, on the other hand, sounds mighty familiar.
March 08, 2007 10:28PM
I have to admit, the first time I ever heard it was The Beasts of Bourbon version. That was the first time I ever heard The Beasts. The Axeman's Jazz is actually one of my few records that my wife likes.
March 12, 2007 06:15PM
You're probably thinking of Jack Kittel (definitely the same lyrics). It was last seen on the "Dead!" CD compilation (a buncha "death discs" songs, from "Teen Angel" to more modern tunes. Yes it even has "I Want My Baby Back" by Jimmy Cross) released last year by Ace (?) records.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login