Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: punk rock gawker stalker

ira
punk rock gawker stalker
February 10, 2007 10:34PM
i only bring this up because it's bizarre....the neighborhood where i live is slowly becoming a retirement village for groovy punk icons: Gibby Haynes is a recent arrival (saw him on the subway, then followed him right past my house but have never introduced myself), so is Eric Davidson of the New Bomb Turks (just said hello in the supermarket). Richie Stotts (ex-Plasmatics) has, i suspect, lived here a long while: he's certainly changed a lot from the pink mohawk and tutu days....Cynthia Gonson of the Magnetic Fields rolled down her car window and hollered hello a couple of weeks ago when i was hauling home a microwave.... I've seen Foetus on the train, altho not in a couple of years...i know ben kweller lives around here somewhere, but i can't say as i know where (and he doesn't exactly qualify). that's not counting the bands that come from around here (someone told me the singer from the Bravery used to live above Magnetic Field)...

any other domestic sightings from near and far?
February 11, 2007 05:36AM
Which neighborhood is this? You can sell Homes of the Stars maps on street corners like they do here in Hollywood.

Actually here in LA we keep getting more Brits, the latest being Eric Idle (we both frequent the same British pub in the Valley), and (perhaps a nod to his devoted Latino fan base?) Morrisey, although I don't expect to see him around makin the scene much - that might result in actually having fun. And the Cult seem to live here now - they play around sometimes, w/Ian Astbury even subbing for Jimbo in "The Doors of the 21 Century."
ira
February 11, 2007 05:54AM
brooklyn
February 12, 2007 12:47AM
Brooklyn in the new Manhattan, innit? I predict a rebirth of the once-glorious New York scene there. And as for Ian AstMorrison, I saw The Cult perform "Little Devil" on TV recently, which is, what, a 20 year old song? Might as well go for the oldies act that pays more.
February 11, 2007 05:40PM
I wonder why Ian Astbury wants to do an oldies act in Jim Morrison's shoes. He's got his own band where he made his name. Stick to it. The Doors thing is embarrassing.
ira
February 12, 2007 12:33PM
Oh yeah, and one more - Grammy-winning kids singer Dan Zanes (ex-Del Fuegos)
February 12, 2007 12:44PM
This is way off topic, but Warren Zanes has a PhD from University of Rochester and (as most know) works as some kind of curator/historian for the R&R hall of fame. I ran into their sister (Julie Zanes, an artist, who I don't really know) last summer in a vegetable garden in a teeny teeny mountain town Saxtons River, Vermont--literally in the middle of nowhere. It ain't exactly Brooklyn, if you know what I mean.

Nobody lives in Albany. Except Eliot Spitzer (and Blotto).
I don't even live there.
February 12, 2007 02:14PM
Barrence Whitfield lives in Beverly Massachusetts & works at the Record Exchange here in Salem, whenever he's not touring Europe. Robin Lane also lives in the area (Beverly, I think), as well as the drummers Hugo Burnham (Gang of Four/Gloucester) & Dave Mattacks (Fairport Convention/Marblehead). Willie "Boom Boom" Alexander lives in Gloucester & I saw him play w/Barrence at a Gloucester restaurant last summer, which was amazing.

P.S.: I dig Blotto, a very enjoyable & underrated band
February 12, 2007 03:40PM
Greg Haymes (aka Sarge Blotto) is the Times Union music critic/columnist (the Albany Hearst paper). He and Bowtie still play together in the Ramblin' Jug Stompers, a Dave Van Ronk kind of string-band venture. Blotto play occasionally. . . Cheese died a few years back.

Oh yeah: Eddie Angel from Los Straitjackets is a native of Albany and comes back a lot. John Tichy (Commander Cody) is a professor at RPI nearby. I think the Commander still lives in the Saratoga area.
February 12, 2007 03:56PM
I'm not sure where Lloyd Cole lives in MA, probably west of here.

I did hear about poor Cheese Blotto. I see the Blotto website from time to time. They were probably the closest thing to an American Bonzos (besides Zappa)
February 12, 2007 09:37PM
Funny, after these posts, I went to work and ended up talking to a colleague about a guy I know who is an attorney specializing in Fair Use and Copyright Law. He gave a lecture over the weekend in the Albany Public Library and my colleague asked me to bring him on campus for a talk. His name (the attorney): Paul Rapp (aka, Lee Harvey Blotto, drummer).
February 12, 2007 03:41PM
Doesn't Lloyd Cole still live somewhere out there in the Mass countryside as well?
February 13, 2007 06:26PM
In my neighborhood:
To the right aways- Roger McGuinn
Up the the street - James Best (Roscoe P Coltrane)
Used to live on the corner but died 2 years ago-Michael George Gibbins
Lives 2 blocks away - Sable (WWF star)
Divorced hottie 2 blocks north is Tom Petty's brother's sister-in-law who gave me the Tom Petty book in which Tom gives a shout out to Warren Zanes.................
but this Florida.
February 13, 2007 07:43PM
I always wondered what happened to James Best.
February 14, 2007 01:34AM
I met Billy Miller (Zantees) Norton label- In a record store not too long ago here in FL. After reading this I can only hope that perhaps all those newly transplanted to Brooklyn high profile punk stars start crowdin out the established order.

And maybe (Ed Grimley voice here), just maybe all those pushed out of Brooklyn longtime greats will move to Florida someday just like their parents and grandparents. And wouldn't it be great! Just think...I would be like...Oh, Mr David Johansen do you want to jam with me?
Oh, I just think i'd go completely mental!
February 14, 2007 07:26PM
> I've seen Foetus on the train ...

Is that a pseudo band name that Thirlwell has recorded under? I checked the TP entry on Foetus, but that one isn't mentioned. Too bad; it's a pretty good one.
ira
February 15, 2007 12:26AM
it would have to be Foetus on the F!
February 15, 2007 12:29AM
> it would have to be Foetus on the F!

Is that anything like Rodney on the ROQ?

Ya know, this could be a hilarious thread. Stand by.
February 16, 2007 03:23AM
Two sightings as a DJ at a Park Slope restaurant:

Pharoah Monche (by a fellow DJ, who actually just happened to be playing some Organized Konfusion as he walked in the door)

Marty Willson-Piper of The Church was a semi-regular and a really nice guy who, as I remember, rather liked "Alligator Boogaloo" by Lou Donaldson. He usually came early, when I was still playing funky jazz/jump blues/mellower dinner fare. I had no idea who he was until the third or fourth time he came in. I just knew him as "Marty," Australian transplant with good taste in music.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login