Talkin 'eds
September 18, 2004 07:24PM
Weren't they everybody's favorite band for a week/month/year? I always thought 'The Name of this Band is' was a great LP but apparently the band didn't think so and it is just now getting a CD release (though I've long had a boot) with extra trax. This seems to add fuel to the reunion rumours that popup every few years..but if the Clash were getting reunited and the Pixies have done so...now for the blashemy: except for Catherine Wheel, I've never liked David Byrne solo. In fact I think Jerry Harrison - Casual Gods was the best Talking Heads 'side' project and was superior even to the Heads last releases. In what's considered a slow concert market, wouldn't the Talking Heads have a tour equal in popularity to the likes of U2 or the Stones?
Re: Talkin 'eds
September 19, 2004 02:15AM
I think a reunion tour would be well received. I agree that not all of DByrne's solo output is great, but worth a listen. When I saw him live, he played Rockin In The Free World with just an acoustic, which covered any previous or future discretions.
September 19, 2004 12:45PM
With all due respect to Casual Gods, what about Tom Tom Club as a side project?!
September 19, 2004 05:49PM
I saw an interview with Chris Frantz and he said that one of Tom Tom Club's albums sold more than any of the Heads albums, can that be true?
September 19, 2004 07:23PM
It's very possible, if you include world sales. Tom Tom Club were gigantic everywhere but the US, and their US sales weren't too bad either.
September 20, 2004 06:40PM
It always sounded to me like cheesy disco with the James Brown song being tolerable when at a dance club. But then, it was a dance music project.
September 20, 2004 08:36PM
Some of it is cloying, yes, but Genuis of Love I thought really captured the exuberance of a group of nerds "discovering" nascent hip-hop and the crossover possibilities it presented. That song is pure ecstasy. What's the language being spoken after the "we went insane when we took cocaine" line? Portugese?
September 20, 2004 09:28PM
as with all teachers of literature i know NOTHING, except these following things:

album was recorded in barbados
bajan dialect is a "poetic" amalgamation of English and west african dialects

i only listen to honky tonker gary stewart and bluegrassser jimmy martin and cowboy poseur lee hazelwood. I am going insane

'What you gonna do when you get out of jail?'
"I'm gonna have some fun"
-'What do you consider fun?'
"Fun, Nasty Fun."

I'm in heaven
With my boyfriend, My laughing boyfriend
There's no beginning and there is no end
Time isn't present in that dimension
He'll take my arm
When we're walkin', rolling and rocking
It's one time I'm glad I'm not a man
Feels like I'm dreaming, When I'm not sleeping

All that weekend
Boyfriend was missing
I surely miss him
Having him hold me in his warm arms
We went insane when we took cocaine.

Stepping in a rhythm to a Kurtis Blow
Who needs to think when your feet just go
With a hiditihi and a hipitiho
Who needs to think when your feet just go ...Bohannon Bohannon Bohannon Bohannon
Who needs to think when your feet just go ...Bohannon Bohannon Bohannon Bohannon
James Brown, James Brown
James Brown, James Brown

If you see him
Please remind him, unhappy boyfriend
Well he's the genius of love
He's got a greater depth of feeling
Well he's the genius of love
He's so deep.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login