Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Two more shows/tours of note

Two more shows/tours of note
February 23, 2023 01:32AM
1. Pere Ubu and faUSt are playing one show in NYC 6/16 at Le Poisson Rouge. faUSt is celebrating 50 years and Ubu has a new album to promote (their 19th!) "Trouble on Big Beat Street". Apparently this album is supposed to be a big departure of the Ubu sound. The added wrinkle to the show is that Allen Ravenstine and Tony Maimone are going to play with Ubu. It looks like Robert Wheeler is no longer with the band so Ravenstine will fit but what about Michele Temple? She has the second longest tenure after David Thomas. Very tempting to make that trip up north.

Also, the Celebrating Bowie tour has been announced and I've missed it in previous years but this one should be pretty cool. Peter Murphy is joining up. Also playing are guitarist Adrian Belew, Spacehog’s Royston Langdon, a Perfect Circle bassist Matt McJunkins, guitarist Scrote, Devo/A Perfect Circle drummer Jeff Friedl, saxophonist Ron Dziubla and guitarist Eric Schermerhorn. The tour is going to focus on "Bowie’s greatest hits with a special emphasis on Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust proto punk era, his Berlin trilogy records (Low, Heroes, and Lodger) and his later Trent Reznor infused years.” Gee, I wonder if Murphy will do "Ziggy Stardust"? (Ha!) Hopefully, Murphy won't cause any problems like the Bauhaus tour last year. Sign me up!

Dates:
4/5 – Houston, TX @ House of Blues
4/6 – New Orleans, LA @ House of Blues
4/8 – St. Petersburg, FL @ Mahaffey Theater
4/9 – Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ Parker Playhouse
4/11 – Atlanta, GA @ Variety Playhouse
4/12 – Chattanooga, TN @ Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Auditorium
4/14 – Virginia Beach, VA @ Sandler Center
4/15 – Westbury, NY @ NYCB Theatre
4/16 – Red Bank, NJ @ Count Basie Center for the Arts
4/17 – Englewood, NJ @ Bergen PAC
4/18 – Glenside, PA @ Keswick Theatre
4/20 – Ridgefield, CT @ Ridgefield Playhouse
4/21 – Lynn, MA @ Lynn Auditorium
4/22 – Staten Island, NY @ St. George Theatre
4/23 – Washington, DC @ The Hamilton
4/25 – Munhall, PA @ Carnegie of Homestead Music Hall
4/26 – Cincinnati, OH @ Taft Theatre
4/28 – Grand Prairie, TX @ Texas Trust CU Theatre
4/29 – Tulsa, OK @ Tulsa Theater
4/30 – San Antonio, TX @ HEB Performance Hall
5/2 – Phoenix, AZ @ Celebrity Theatre
5/4 – Anaheim, CA @ City National Grove of Anaheim
5/5 – San Francisco, CA @ The Regency Ballroom
5/7 – Portland, OR @ Roseland Theater
5/8 – Tacoma, WA @ Temple Theatre
Reply Quote
Re: Two more shows/tours of note
February 23, 2023 08:40AM
“Guitarist Scrote” - that’s an unfortunate nickname.
February 23, 2023 09:03AM
It takes balls to handle a nickname like that.
February 23, 2023 09:45AM
Set 'em up, and he knocks 'em down!

Sadly, I never got to see Bowie play, so I'm considering the Celebrating Bowie tour. I don't usually go for travelling tribute shows like this, but I do dig Adrian Belew, and I know he loved working with Bowie. San Antonio is only an hour and a half away. But it's not, y'know, Bowie. And they have a guitarist named Scrote. Has anybody seen one of these tours and can vouch for its quality, or lack thereof?
March 09, 2023 12:08PM
An Austin stop for the Celebrating Bowie tour was just announced. The poster lists the names of the notables who will be performing: Adrian Belew. Peter Murphy. Scrote. A guitarist named Scrote gets equal billing to Belew and Murphy?

I hope Scrote is lurking about the board and appreciates that we've given him a solo album title: A Guitarist Named Scrote.

Addendum: apparently Angelo "Scrote" Bundini is, in fact, a respected improviser and composer with connections to Fred Frith, Ralph Carney, Pere Ubu, and more: https://www.bayimproviser.com/artist.aspx?a=266

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2023 12:12PM by Michael Toland.
February 23, 2023 09:49AM
I just got a promo of the new Pere Ubu. I haven't listened to it yet, but the publicity sheet confirms that Wheeler is gone, but Temple is still in the band. I suspect this might be a one-off show, plus they've gotten to a point where not everyone who records in the studio plays in the live band. (Electronics dude Gagarin wasn't on the tour I saw a few years ago.)

Here's David Thomas' take on the new record:

“53 years ago I read about ‘Song Cycle’ by Van Dyke Parks,” says David Thomas. “I didn’t understand what I read but it changed me. Years later I heard the album. This, finally, is my response to hearing to that album.

“Long ago I determined that a song is best the first time it’s played. There is nothing that can go wrong or be inadequate. Repetition allows error to enter in. These songs have been played by the band one time, as they were recorded."
February 23, 2023 02:45PM
Fascinating! Ive been listening to the plethora of Ravenstine’s solo stuff and it has almost the complete opposite feel of Ubu’s (avant) garage mayhem. It’s Very peaceful. Ravenstine admits that after he was orphaned by a car accident that claimed both his parents as a teen, he was a drifting angry young man, hence his berserk aggressive synth work in Ubu. His calm, ambient-y solo works suggest that he’s long since worked thru that. So how he’s going to fit back into the Ubu equation will be interesting indeed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2023 02:45PM by MrFab.
February 23, 2023 09:39PM
Seeing a show in Tacoma on a weeknight? Sorry, but that makes for a really long drive home. Plus, they have a guitarist named Scrote.
March 10, 2023 12:36AM
Also, I'll be seeing Belew in Seattle the week after that, along with Jerry Harrison, doing their Remain in Light Tour. (Busy year for Adrian!) The web site for that tour makes no mention of Scrote.
June 29, 2023 06:31PM
I just heard that this tour is back on, with Murphy and Belew both on board. They're resuming their rescheduled dates in October, starting in Tacoma. (I heard no mention of Scrote. Perhaps that collaboration has shriveled.)
Reply Quote
March 27, 2023 04:56PM
"Hopefully, Murphy won't cause any problems like the Bauhaus tour last year."

It was announced over the weekend that Murphy had to have "unexpected" surgery and will be in recovery for a while. So the tour has been kicked to the fall.

Taking bets on whether or not Murphy is still involved by then.
March 27, 2023 06:44PM
> Apparently Angelo "Scrote" Bundini is, in fact, a respected improviser
> and composer with connections to Fred Frith, Ralph Carney, Pere Ubu,
> and more ...

Seeing his full name sent me to my favorite language-translation engine, in the hopes that scrote might be an Italian word that translates to something respectable.

Nope.
March 27, 2023 09:37PM
Wow, Ubu and Faust at the posh Mahaffey Theatre…where I saw Sammy Davis Jr. play a gig in 1986! The times they are a-changin! But Man, The last shows I caught by Pere Ubu and Faust, separately, were astounding! I can barely imagine them on the same night!

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
May 10, 2023 05:09PM
Wow, check out the lineup for the NYC and LA shows:

[www.ubuprojex.com]

Wayne Kramer (since when is he in Pere Ubu?!), Eric Drew Feldman, Michele Temple, Jack Jones, Tony Maimone & Allen Ravenstine.

Oh poop, Allen Ravenstine is not in the LA lineup. (Boo!) But Mike Watt is opening (Yay!)

Err, so Jack Jones is in UBU now - the "Love Boat" guy? Well, THAT should be interesting. (Unless of course they meant to write "Jim Jones.")
May 13, 2023 05:23PM
Perennial whipping boy Steve Mehlman isn't in this incarnation. I guess he had enough of Dave Thomas yelling at him. I could never tell how much of that was real. One thing is for sure is that Kramer won't put up with that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login