Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Do you have a music related ‘holy grail’?

Bip
Do you have a music related ‘holy grail’?
September 20, 2022 10:53AM
… something you’ve sought for years in hopes of coming across.

2022 will go down as the year that Bip decided it was time to stop collecting stuff after 40 years. But I always had a running list of vinyl records I had hoped to find without acquiescing to discogs. What a feeling I’d get when I’d find one of them in a used bin!

Likewise certain books; Mario Panciera’s “45 Revolutions” would likely be my example of something I never came across and is just way too pricey online for me.

How about you? Understood this may only apply to those with the collecting virus…
Reply Quote
BCE
September 20, 2022 11:46AM
Mostly (but not all) all radio-related:

Duran Duran's "lost" album
Katy Perry's 1st album as Katy Hudson
Madonna's Breakfast Club stuff
John Peel's first & last broadcasts
MRR (Maxium Rock n Roll) episode #1
Yo La Tengo "pledge week" episodes on WFMU
Aircheck of the AT40 w/ the long destination dedication about the little kid's puppy who died (outtake immortalized by Negativland)
Reply Quote
September 21, 2022 03:12PM
Which Peel broadcasts are those? I've found one of his earliest BBC shows, from fall 1967, on YouTube, and one of his last shows before his death, from September 2004.
September 20, 2022 02:31PM
SOMEBODY out there must have Bill Gazzari's ads that constantly ran on LA radio during the '80s for his hair-metal haven Gazzari's Nightclub on the Sunset Strip. Been looking for years:

"All my bands have the foxiest guys. If they're not foxy, they don't play!"

Said in his gruff, old-man voice.
Reply Quote
ira
September 20, 2022 03:05PM
An original copy of Ready Steady Who
September 20, 2022 03:25PM
I'd love to see an official release of Japan's original version of "Some Kind of Fool," which was intended for the band's Gentlemen Take Polaroids album. A dissatisfied David Sylvian replaced the track with "Burning Bridges" (an excellent composition, by the way), finally releasing "Fool" (with then-new vocals) on his 2000 compilation Everything and Nothing. A poor-quality recording of the Japan track can be found at YouTube.

[www.youtube.com]

Sylvian's 2000 version is great, but I still long for the elusive 1980 original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2022 03:26PM by Middle C.
Reply Quote
September 20, 2022 03:58PM
My holy grails tend to be modest in terms of musical importance, and I've been lucky to find a bunch of them in the past few years, thanks to Discogs. When it comes to older records, I'm perfectly happy with reissues.

That said, if I came across a copy of Bad Religion's Into the Unknown (or the box set from a few years ago of which it was a part, which would probably be cheaper than an original copy at this point) at a price that wouldn't affect my mortgage, I'd be seriously tempted.
September 20, 2022 04:13PM
This falls more into the Imaginary Albums category, but I remember dreaming, sometime in the early Nineties, that I was shopping for vinyl records at a by-then-long-gone Record Bar I frequented as a teen. In this dream, I was still a teenager and there were no compact discs. To my utter astonishment, I came across a trio of lost Gary Numan Beggars Banquet albums issued in the time between Gazza’s I, Assassin and his first Numa platter, Berserker. (It was as if, mercifully, 1983’s Warriors had never existed.) I woke up before I could buy and listen to the discs, but I recall that at least one of the album covers was purple (the dream’s reflection of my passion for Dance, which I've written at ridiculous length about elsewhere on this forum), and that the various track listings, together with Numan’s pictures (his outfits on those covers, if memory serves, crossed the Telekon boiler suit with his early Eighties noir look) suggested a delectable combination of the discs he released between 1980 and ’82. I was disappointed with Numan’s work from ’83 on--though some of his later compositions were and are quite good--and I still wonder what those mysterious records sounded like.

This, incidentally, is the only album-related dream that I remember having. I’m a serious bibliophile, and once or twice a year I’ll dream that I’m in some imaginary used bookstore (a composite of the many such places I’ve visited through the decades), searching for equally imaginary books by some of my literary heroes: Gore Vidal, Vladimir Nabokov, Kurt Vonnegut, Don DeLillo, J.G. Ballard, etc. The bookstore is always the same one, and I know exactly where it’s located—on a street corner near the university I attended decades ago.
Bip
September 20, 2022 06:48PM
Love your post, middle c. I’ve had similar dreams… and it scares me what the mind is capable of. Imagine opening an undiscovered book in a dream and reading through the pages… could your mind have written the lost Gore Vidal masterpiece?

I know in dreams I’ve turned on the radio and heard the hot new (non-existent) Madonna song. Did my mind write, produce and perform that song… on a whim?
September 20, 2022 07:52PM
I once dreamed a video for a non-existant Eddy Grant song. I seem to recall it not being too bad.

On another occasion, I dreamed a musical about spiked punch, sung by my high school classmates.
September 20, 2022 09:19PM
Technically, that means you wrote that song, Brad.
Reply Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login