Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One more? Well, if you insist ...

One more? Well, if you insist ...
August 25, 2022 04:38PM
Ever see a band reprise a song for an encore? I don't mean a new band with just one album to its credit, playing a song a second time because they've gone through their entire repertoire. I mean a band with a reasonably deep repertoire, that could've played something else for the encore, yet chose to play something they'd already played.

When I saw Talking Heads on the Stop Making Sense Tour, the highly enthusiastic crowd called them back for one more ... and they responded by playing "Burning Down the House" once more.

Anyone else?

Philippe's comment on the album-start-to-finish thread, about seeing Big Country (at about the same time), made me think of this.
Re: One more? Well, if you insist ...
August 25, 2022 06:13PM
I saw the band Capital Cities once at a festival (I didn't have anything else to do for a couple of hours) and they played their hit "Safe and Sound" three times over the course of the set.
August 25, 2022 08:07PM
In the ska days, the first ever gig we did was a dude's party in his backyard. We only had about 25 mins worth of songs and played The Specials' Concrete Jungle a second time. Then my mum picked us up and drove us to see Madness. Pretty skacentric evening.

I saw Mi-Sex do an interview on their return from their first US tour (maybe their only US tour) and they said a venue manager offered them $100 to play Computer Games again. Can't recall if they did or not.

First time I saw the Warumpi Band was a weeknight in a virtually empty room (I'd see them about two years later in the same room packed out) they played their debut single Jailanguru Pakarnu which they filmed. They then apologised and said they had to do it again because the camera didn't work first time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2022 08:07PM by Aitch.
August 25, 2022 08:30PM
When I saw Men Without Hats at an 80s night a few years back, they did a five song set, two of which were the different versions of "The Safety Dance."
August 26, 2022 11:20AM
When I saw the Undertones in Paris circa 2015, they played a long and comprehensive set comprising songs from all four albums, and a regular encore. But when the crowd still wanted more, the lead singer (whoever was standing in for Feargal Sharkey) said "OK, we'll do Teenage Kicks one more time and call it a night". I guess they weren't expecting such an enthusiastic response and had not prepared for a second encore. There was still a lot of material they hadn't played yet... not like Big Country three decades earlier.
August 26, 2022 11:42AM
Ian Hunter / Mick Ronson, the "Never Alone with..." tour in Milwaukee. They came back and said they didn't know any other songs and played "Just another Night"a second time. Might have been a second encore, it was a while back.
August 26, 2022 06:42PM
I have mixed feelings about encores now. On one hand, I'm usually up for more music but on the other hand, I've seen bands leave the stage and the crowd just stands there barely clapping because they know they'll be back. Or the band says goodnight walks off the stage turns back around and gets back on the stage - why even leave?

Then there's the Feelies. Both times I saw them they did four encores. And this wasn't because they played a very short main set. Two full sets and then the encores - a total of over 35 songs. At the other extreme, there's Man or Astroman. They signal that there will be no encore by having the drummer break down his kit while the guitarists are wringing sound from the amplifiers and then he gets some of the audience to hold up the drums as he stacks them on each other.
August 27, 2022 02:20AM
Midge Ure shared his viewpoint on encores, when I saw him a few years ago.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login