Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: And you thought the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame was a sham...

And you thought the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame was a sham...
June 17, 2022 05:05PM
Lil Nas X has been inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. At age 23. There's a category to "honor artists at the apex of their career." This is the sort of thing that, if this category had existed 30 years ago, would have the folks of today wondering how the hell John Popper rated a hall of fame career.

No offense to Lil Nas X - he seems to be one of the more genuinely interesting personalities in music these days.

I remember a few years back Justin Timberlake got the same induction, and Lori Majewski on the Volume channel on Sirius was musing what an outrage it was that it had taken so long to induct Timberlake into the songwriting hall of fame via that particular route. Meanwhile, the other inductees that year included Tom T. Hall and John Prine, two of the most legendary songwriters of all time who were just being inducted a half century into either of their careers.

So yeah, this is a very questionable idea the Songwriters Hall of Fame has come up with. Then again, one of the other inductees this year is Steve Miller, author of the immortal poetry "abracadabra, I wanna reach out and grab ya," so maybe it's not their worst offense.
June 17, 2022 05:50PM
Is there a Songwriters Hall of Fame museum? One where fans can tour and see the exhibits?

If so, then I'd kinda suspect that the Board of Directors is kow-towing to younger tastes, in the hopes of getting more tourists through the doors. Tom T. Hall and John Prine may be widely recognized by people who grew up with their music, but to the younger generation, they're meaningless. Even Steve Miller wouldn't mean much to the Gen-Whatevers.
June 17, 2022 05:59PM
He's actually getting the Hal David Starlight award, which is awarded to young songwriters.

Details.

Which, of course, doubles as a way to attract a young generation.

Delvin, I didn't see anything on the website about a museum, but surely there is one. Of course, this was after a cursory skim, not a deep dive.
Bip
June 17, 2022 08:00PM
I do understand your misgivings, but have decided it’s a fool’s errand to criticize a musical Hall of Fame.

I really like listening to baseball radio broadcasts and the baseball HoF is a little more numbers-driven; if you’re lifetime batting average was .125, it’s less likely you’ll get in.

In music, it’s obviously subjective… you could have no top 40 hits and atrocious record sales, yet still conceivably get inducted. No solid data drives the process.

Musical trends are always driven by the young (as they should be… I’m happy to still be along for the ride) and if Timberlake or Bieber rub shoulders with Prine or Cole Porter, so be it!
June 18, 2022 11:02AM
Well said, Bip. I'll try to keep that perspective. My sincere thanks!
Bip
June 18, 2022 12:23PM
Ah heck, delvin… I can’t even promise that I always maintain that perspective!!!
June 18, 2022 04:11PM
Can we agree than any Halls Of Fame are subjective money spinning enterprises and leave it at that? And move on with our lives.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
June 18, 2022 08:24PM
If you think I’m gonna equate Bieber with Cole Porter just because they’re two different eras, you got another think comin!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login