Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

chameleons

chameleons
September 12, 2004 05:52AM
A swell band, i remember now...it was 1987, I was in Korea, in the army, i was walking between two Quansa huts, and in one of those huts there were two guys talking and bantering each other about bands and their music. Upon my return, a few minutes later, I passed by the hut again whereby I recall they had reached an agreement and both completely agreed that the chameleons were (and still are) a great band. Nostalgia, Nostalgia.
Re: chameleons
September 13, 2004 12:19PM
The UK Chameleons, right?
A college-era band for me. I used to really love them. This was before we even had shoegaze as a known genre - these guys and the Cocteaus are sometimes credited as originators. Particularly liked Strange Times, the 2xLP version with the second slab being more of an EP. Just as overlooked as Pale Saints - The Comforts of Madness, in this country anyway. I once had a Brot roommate who shrugged at the stereo and said, "Blimey, the bleedin' Chameleons again. 'Oo asn't 'eard of 'em!".
September 17, 2004 06:58PM
right. I once had this off kilter bag lady as a neighbor who ranted and raved all the time except when i played the chameleons, i could hear her humming in between tracks. I wonder whats become of her without regular rock therapy?
September 18, 2004 06:03PM
Maybe it was a good thing you weren't playind g-rap. But if she was a bag lady, how could she be someone's neighbor...
Looks like I had the original 3 LPs, of which I think Strange Times was the most consistently great and Script the least. Looking at the Trou' entry, there is a postscript called 'Tony Fletcher', is anyone familiar with this one?
September 20, 2004 02:30PM
the tony fletcher walked on water ep is wonderful. It contains all the elements that made the chameleons great. Power, intelligence and beauty.
September 24, 2004 05:58PM
Just got a copy of TFWOW...easily the band at their peak
September 26, 2004 01:16AM
first time on here and this is up!!! very strange, i know
them top band ,top people. seen the 6 time's in manchester
where else smiling smiley
September 27, 2004 03:35AM
They are very obscure in the US. Their records were hard to find and most were import only as well as no airplay.
September 27, 2004 06:08AM
haha, i cant wait to go to club chameleon smiling smiley should be a top
night with john lever djing! jealous? smiling smiley
October 07, 2004 11:23PM
One of the best bands of all time.
Why weren't they huge ?
October 09, 2004 09:15PM
same reason most arnt
October 10, 2004 11:17PM
amazing band and amazing person in the form of mark burgess.
genuine nice guy.
not many bands could survive the nonsense that was all around them and also the insanity they put themselves through with drugs etc and most of all the bitterness that went on for years.
had the fortune to see them at the height of their powers and also to get to know them a bit
October 11, 2004 01:13PM
i'll second that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login