BCE
Steve Bronski (Bronski Beat) RIP
December 10, 2021 08:51AM
Re: Steve Bronski (Bronski Beat) RIP
December 10, 2021 09:56AM
Very saddened to learn of this.
December 10, 2021 10:28AM
I had no idea that Larry Steinbachek had died in 2016! I was busy writing about Robbie Shakespeare yesterday when news of Steve Bronski came over the transom. Making me post an obit this morning before work as I usually write at lunch. Bronchi Beat were hit/miss thing for me. I liked the music and appreciated their stance but just didn't like Sommerville's falsetto. Not one of my favorite vocal techniques, as my lifelong dislike of Frankie Valli will attest.

I was much happier when Sommerville bolted and John Jøn assumed vocal duties. I immediately got "Truthdare Doubledare." I didn't know that he re-made Age Of Consent" with new bandmates as "Age of Reason" in 2017! Maybe I should try it as it posits the album without Sommerville? Bronski Beat brought queer issues and politics to the front in a more naturalistic way and were groundbreaking. Especially during the AIDS panic of the time stoking even more homophobia than normal.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
December 10, 2021 02:44PM
> I liked the music and appreciated their stance but just didn't
> like Sommerville's falsetto. Not one of my favorite vocal
> techniques, as my lifelong dislike of Frankie Valli will attest.

Regardless of whether one appreciates the falsetto approach, comparing Sommerville's voice to Valli's is beyond disparagement. There's a vast difference between the vocal tone of a singer like Sommerville (to say nothing of Prince) and the horrendous, stomach-churning voice of Frankie Valli ... a sound that the most ruthless claws could never match on any chalkboard.
December 10, 2021 04:32PM
Delvin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Regardless of whether one appreciates the falsetto
> approach, comparing Sommerville's voice to Valli's
> is beyond disparagement. There's a vast difference
> between the vocal tone of a singer like
> Sommerville (to say nothing of Prince) and the
> horrendous, stomach-churning voice of Frankie
> Valli ... a sound that the most ruthless claws
> could never match on any chalkboard.

I guess the kicker for Sommerville with me was that everything I heard from Sommerville was in falsetto. It was his default vocal stance. Every other singer might reach for effect in portions of the song in falsetto. But not him. Prince in falsetto is okay with me, but I draw the line at his pitch shifted vocals in the "Camille" persona. I find any pitch shifting gimmicky, and singing entirely in falsetto, as did Sommerville, was the next worst thing for my ears. And MrFab - yes, the shriek-era of Rush is also a no-go for me too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2021 04:32PM by Post-Punk Monk.
December 10, 2021 03:59PM
I'm sure you're right Delvin, but something about those high-pitched voices can cause some kind of physiological response in me (see also: the singers for Yes, and Rush) that prevent me from making such distinctions.
Bip
December 12, 2021 09:01AM
I’ve softened my stance on the falsetto over the years. It kept me from appreciating Sparks for far too long.

Speaking of softening stances, I gotta believe the video for ‘small town boy’ made a lot of MTV- obsessed youth understand more about the gay experience than they had previously. I know it made a difference for me.
Reply Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login