Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Gang of Four (almost) reunites for US tour

Gang of Four (almost) reunites for US tour
October 18, 2021 07:16PM
It's sad that Andy Gill's death had to get these guys back together. Jon King and Hugo Burnham are being joined by Sara Lee and David Pajo. I saw the King/Gill incarnation at a festival back when they were supporting 'Mall'. I didn't know anything about them but seeing Gill scrape his guitar against the speakers made a big impression on me (I love it when guitarists wring crazy sounds from their guitar). A few years ago,when Gill brought out his new version of Go4, I listened to the album and while it wasn't terrible it was boring and I passed on the opportunity to see them. I'm not going to pass this time:

Dates
3.01.22 – Minneapolis, MN @ Varsity
3.02.22 – Chicago, IL @ Bottom Lounge
3.03.22 – Detroit, MI @ Magic Bag
3.04.22 – Toronto, ON @ Horseshoe
3.06.22 – Somerville, MA @ Crystal Ballroom
3.07.22 – Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Made
3.08.22 – Philadelphia, PA @ Underground Arts
3.09.22 – Washington, D.C. @ Black Cat
3.11.22 – Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade Hall
3.12.22 – Nashville, TN @ Exit/In
3.14.22 – Austin, TX @ Mohawk
3.15.22 – Houston, TX @ Warehouse Live Studio
3.16.22 – Dallas, TX @ Granada
3.18.22 – Phoenix, AZ @ Last Exit Live
3.19.22 – Los Angeles, CA @ Roxy
3.20.22 – San Diego, CA @ Casbah
3.21.22 – San Francisco, CA @ Independent
3.23.22 – Seattle, WA @ Neumos
3.23.22 – Portland, OR @ Rev Hall
3.25.22 – Vancouver, BC @ Fortune Sound Club

Addendum - Burnham recently did a home edition of Amoeba What's in My Bag.
Reply Quote
ira
October 18, 2021 08:11PM
Hugo is a pisser, and I'm not just saying that because he lives in the Boston area.
October 20, 2021 11:58AM
Ha! Well, we're all pissers in a way, ain't we? I'd be fascinated to know what you mean, Ira!
October 20, 2021 03:34PM
They've played the Mohawk every time they've come through in recent years - it's kind of their home club here in Austin. I really wish I'd gotten a chance to see Gill in action - I love his guitar work - but I was skeptical of a GoF without King. I may make an effort to see this show.

The Mohawk also regularly hosts Wire when they come through town. If they can get PiL, it'll be the postpunk trifecta.

Edit: PiL did, in fact, play the Mohawk, as recently as 2018. Setlist.

I also saw Peter Hook and the Light there, which, while not actually New Order or Joy Division, was solidly entertaining. Says something about the age and proclivities of their booking staff, methinks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2021 03:35PM by Michael Toland.
October 20, 2021 09:24PM
Michael, did you see them when they played a ‘secret show’ on top of an Austin parking garage during SXSW, I think 2006, after Return The Gift came out?
Blisteringly great, and apart from seeing Fucked Up play on a bridge on the outskirts of town at 2AM, one of the most memorable SXSW shows across probably a dozen years of going.
October 20, 2021 09:24PM
Michael, did you see them when they played a ‘secret show’ on top of an Austin parking garage during SXSW, I think 2006, after Return The Gift came out?
Blisteringly great, and apart from seeing Fucked Up play on a bridge on the outskirts of town at 2AM, one of the most memorable SXSW shows across probably a dozen years of going.
October 21, 2021 08:18AM
I remember hearing about it, but no, I didn't see it. I missed them that year.
October 22, 2021 12:04PM
I was very fortunate to see Go4's original lineup when they reunited for a tour in 2005. Oh man, I couldn't have sat down during their set if I'd tried. The band was ridiculously tight, and Gill was in top form. (I can't comment, though, about Burnham's pisser cred.)

It's pretty likely that I'll pass on this tour, as its Seattle date falls on a Wednesday, two days after Sparks' show in Jet City. Two weeknight concerts may be overdoing it, especially considering how busy my work schedule has gotten. Ahhh, the things that just don't last ...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login