Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Annette

Annette
July 26, 2021 06:35PM
I was able to catch a press screening of ANNETTE last week. It was not what I expected. Leos Carax's early films are full of danger and loss, but he had a real knack for using music to express moments of ecstatic joy - take Denis Lavant runnin through Paris to "Modern Love" in MAUVAIS SANG or Public Enemy getting drowned out by classical music as fireworks burst overhead in LES AMANTS DU PONT-NEUF. While the film begins with Sparks in the studio, a scene that turns out into a musical number performed by the band and cast as they walk through L.A., the tone is pretty bitter and sour. It's one of the most grim musicals I have ever seen, making no bones about Adam Driver's character being a dangerous jerk. The soundtrack is also less pop-oriented than one might anticipate, full of classical music and opera. (Driver's wife, played by Marion Cotillard, is an opera singer.) It's a really strange experience, full of exciting filmmaking but reminiscent of post-New Hollywood follies like ONE FROM THE HEART, 1941 and NEW YORK, NEW YORK.
Reply Quote
August 07, 2021 05:36PM
Saw it today. I really enjoyed it, but was moderately disappointed that one of the smartest lyricists in the history of rock music went so minimalist with the lyrics here - mostly just phrases repeated and layered on top of each other. It serves the story very well, but don't go into it expecting much great Ron Mael wordplay.

Anyhow, I do recommend it, though Stevee is right that it ain't a barrel of monkeys. It may be Adam Driver's best performance yet, and Simon Helberg continues to be the Big Bang Theory cast member using that springboard to make the most interesting career choices.
Bip
August 07, 2021 06:13PM
Haven’t seen this… and I’m a pretty crummy patron of the movies….but I have to say Adam Driver is gradually becoming one of my favorite actors of the current day. Everything I’ve seen him in (star wars sequels, black klansman, marriage story, etc) I think he brings a lot to the table.
August 09, 2021 09:17AM
He was even great on Saturday Night Live!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login