Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Setlist from last night (04 June)

Setlist from last night (04 June)
June 05, 2021 10:11AM
"Living in the Plastic Age" – The Buggles
"Pump It Up" – The Hotrats
"See These Bones" – Nada Surf (by request)

"Zutti e Buoni" – Måneskin
"Oppenheimer" – Old 97's (by request)
"The Prettiest Star" – David Bowie (by request)
"Head Over Heels" – Tears for Fears (by request)

"Shine a Little Light" – The Black Keys (by request)
"Crazy" – R.E.M.
"Blow Yourself Up" – Tommy Hoehn

"Shakin' Shakin' Shakes" – Los Lobos
"I'm Shakin'" – The Blasters
"Shiver Shiver Shake" – Jenny & the Blue Moon Boys
"Shakin' All Over" [live] – The Who
"Shake, Shiver and Moan" – 22-20s

"A New Wave" – Sleater-Kinney
"The Last of the New Wave Riders" [live] – Utopia
"New Wave" – Against Me!

"The Wonder" – The Seven and Six
"Too Lonely" – Neil Young & Crazy Horse
"Starry Eyes" – The Speedways
"Rosebush" – Girlongirl
"Hard to Get" – Starclub

"Turning of the Tide" – Bob Mould
"Maddy Groves" – Fairport Convention (by request)

"Lighten Up McGraw" – Crack the Sky (by request)
"Out of Control" – U2 (by request)
"Miracles Out of Nowhere" – Kansas
Reply Quote
June 05, 2021 11:20AM
Next week (11 June), I'll be swapping shows with one of my fellow DJs. David Haldeman will be the guest host of "Twenty Flight Rock" at 8:30, and then at 10:30, I'll be on as the guest host of his regular show, "Dead Electric."
June 05, 2021 04:23PM
Did you succeed in your attempt in the middle of the show at causing an earthquake and tsunami?

It reminds me of reading a few years ago about a group of loonies in California trying to provoke the "big one" by simultaneously jumping from their chairs to the ground at some pre-determined hour. Spoiler alert: it didn't work.
June 05, 2021 07:47PM
> Did you succeed in your attempt in
> the middle of the show at causing an
> earthquake and tsunami?

Perish the thought! Here in Washington State, people worry about an inevitable devastating earthquake as much as Californians do.
zoo
June 07, 2021 01:00PM
"Maddy Groves" – Fairport Convention (by request)
The original is cool, but I like later versions with Simon Nicol on vocals...he brings a little more menace to the lines about killing Matty and then his wife.

"Miracles Out of Nowhere" – Kansas
People can piss on Kansas all they want, but I thought they were great. Love the vocal trade-offs on this between Walsh and Steinhardt.
June 07, 2021 01:42PM
""Miracles Out of Nowhere" – Kansas
People can piss on Kansas all they want, but I thought they were great. Love the vocal trade-offs on this between Walsh and Steinhardt."

I go back and forth on Kansas - loved them as a high schooler, kind of got sick of them for a while, rediscovered them later, and on and on... But I've always loved this song. If someone asked me what they sound like, I'd play them this before I'd play "Carry On Wayward Son."

Simon Nicol singing "Matty Groves" on the Fairport album In Real Time in the 80s was my introduction to the song, and still my favorite version.
zoo
June 07, 2021 02:06PM
Michael Toland Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Simon Nicol singing "Matty Groves" on the Fairport album In Real Time in the 80s was my
> introduction to the song, and still my favorite version.

That's exactly the version I was thinking about! That's a great album, but far too brief. I would love to hear the rest of the set since I'm sure that wasn't the entire concert.
June 07, 2021 05:57PM
The Fairport selection was a request, and the listener did refer to the version with Sandy Denny's vocal.

I've never gotten very far into FC's catalog -- folk music in general just isn't my thing. But unless there's a radically different version of "Maddy Groves" out there, I won't be checking out this one again any time soon. The first half is way too repetitious.

And I totally agree with Michael: "Miracles Out of Nowhere" displays everything Kansas does well, to its best.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login