Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Setlist from last night (21 May)

Setlist from last night (21 May)
May 22, 2021 11:55AM
I devoted the middle hour to an exploration of Brian Eno's work, at the request of a listener.

"Holidays in the Sun" - The Sex Pistols
"Dreamsicle" - Wombo
"Sleepwalker" - The Kinks (for bassist John Dalton's birthday)
"New Age Blues" - Cam Cole (by request)

"A Get-Together to Tear It Apart" - The Hives
"Cool Cool Girl" - Fightmilk
"Romance" - Payola$ (for guitarist Paul Hyde's birthday)
"Century City" - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers (for drummer Stan Lynch's birthday)

"Virginia Plain" - Roxy Music
"Do the Strand" - Roxy Music
"Dead Finks Don't Talk" - Brian Eno
"No One Receiving" - Brian Eno

"Life at Rainbow's End" - Ultravox
"The Three Sunrises" - U2
"Space Junk" - Devo
"I Zimbra" - Talking Heads

"The Heart's Filthy Lesson" - David Bowie
"Help Me Somebody" - Brian Eno & David Byrne
"Crime in the Desert" - Brian Eno & John Cale

"Third Uncle" - Bauhaus
"Needles in the Camel's Eye" - Queens of the Stone Age
"Blank Frank" - Claw Hammer
"King's Lead Hat" [live] - Ultravox

"Love Is Like a Rock" - Donnie Iris & the Cruisers (for drummer Kevin Valentine's birthday)
"She Had You" - Mary Lou Lord
"Vagabond of the Western World" - Thin Lizzy (by request)

"Ray Purchase" - Peeping Drexels
"Feed Me with Your Kiss" - My Bloody Valentine (for guitarist Kevin Shields' birthday)
"Transylvania Boogie" - Frank Zappa (for bassist Jeff Simmons' birthday)
"Public Image" - Public Image Ltd.
Re: Setlist from last night (21 May)
May 22, 2021 04:18PM
I don't think I ever knew Donnie Iris had an "and the" band.

I'm slightly surprised he doesn't have a TP entry, though not as surprised as I was when I discovered Greg Kihn doesn't. I don't know if Iris ever claimed to be New Wave, and I don't think New Wave ever tried to claim him, but he was adjacent enough to Power Pop in 1980 that I would've thought TP would haul him in and give him what for.
zoo
May 24, 2021 09:13AM
breno Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think I ever knew Donnie Iris had an "and
> the" band.

I didn't either! I actually bought a copy of King Cool over the weekend. That was before reading this thread, so I just checked my copy. The front cover just states Donnie Iris, but the spine and back both include "and The Cruisers."

When I brought the record to the counter to pay, the cashier says, "Hey, Donnie Iris. We're having a run on him. The customer I checked out before you bought one of his records as well."
May 24, 2021 11:37AM
Pretty sure there was a Greg Kihn entry in the first book. Only Ira knows the secrets of why some pieces made the leap to the website and some didn't.
May 22, 2021 06:03PM
Paul Hyde was the singer for the Payola$, no? Though I guess he played guitar as well.
May 22, 2021 07:07PM
Yes, Hyde was the lead singer and frontman. Record executives renamed the band "Paul Hyde and the Payols" for their second album.
May 23, 2021 10:00AM
Yep, Paul Hyde was the frontman of the Payola$, helming the band along with guitarist Bob Rock. They suffered the slings & arrows together, until Bob started making an outrageous fortune as producer for Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Mötley Crüe, Metallica and others.
Bip
May 23, 2021 08:51PM
Did you intentionally bookend the whole thing with Lydon? Like a musical sandwich with Eno...temperamental on the outside, experimental on the inside?

Always liked Donnie Iris....he had a knack for catchy eighties AOR. Not sure I’d expect to see him as a TP entrant.

I don’t think they knew quite how to market him. ‘Ah!Leah!’ is clearly rock, not new wave.... but the video has him looking a little Costelloesque.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2021 08:52PM by Bip.
May 23, 2021 10:04PM
Yep, the Pistols/PiL sandwich effect was deliberate, though not as well-conceived as you suggested, Bip. "Temperamental on the outside, experimental on the inside"? I should only hope to be that clever. Nope, in my case, it was not much more involved than, "Hmmm, yeah, that'll work."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login