Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tracey Thorn on music critics

Tracey Thorn on music critics
May 20, 2021 01:12PM
[www.newstatesman.com]

"....I was braced for criticism when my new book came out, and have tried not to get dragged down by comments that don’t amount to much more than “Your accusations of sexism are grossly exaggerated, you silly woman”. I think that, having been writing about music for ten years now, largely from an insider’s point of view, I have begun to toughen up.

When I started writing, I really felt the fear, and was intimidated by men’s assumptions of authority about music, by their claims of expertise. I worried that someone would call me out for getting a factlet wrong, such as the B-side of a single, or the date of a particular gig.

I’m generalising here, but some male critics act like all the meaning and fun of music is to be found in these tiny slivers of knowledge – the gathering of them, the sharing of them. I’m not anti-fact, but my focus is always more on the people involved and the bigger picture...."
Reply Quote
Re: Tracey Thorn on music critics
May 20, 2021 03:09PM
Very nice, and well said. I wonder if part of the problem is with critics who focus on everything but the girl?
Reply Quote
Re: Tracey Thorn on music critics
May 21, 2021 10:00AM
I need a drumroll emoji to respond to that.
Reply Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login