Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Miami Vice and music

zoo
Miami Vice and music
May 17, 2021 01:05PM
I grew up in Miami, and the TV show Miami Vice was kinda a big deal when I was a kid. My dad even "acted" as an extra in a few episodes. Watching the show now, there's a fair amount of cheese that I didn't realize as a teenager, but I still love it. What really stuck with me about the show, though, was the music. In the early 2000s, I watched re-runs of the show, and I discovered some cool music that I didn't pick up on during the show's original run. All I had to do was search the internet to see what songs were played in any given episode! Although I knew a lot of the songs by the early 2000s (I was in my late 20s by then), there was still new music to discover. I can thank Miami Vice for introducing me to the songs below, many of which I've since added to my vinyl collection.

(BTW, the Rupert Hine thread discussion is what made me think of the songs I discovered through Miami Vice, since that's how I discovered Thinkman.)

"Best Adventures" - Thinkman
"Be My Enemy" - The Waterboys
"Climb" - Peter Himmelman
"Hello Earth" - Kate Bush
"The Order of Death" - PIL
"Maybe the Poet" - Bruce Cockburn
"State of Emergency" - Cactus World News

Any of you discover some favorites through a TV show?
May 17, 2021 03:57PM
zoo - It's ka-rayzee that you cite Miami Vice today of all days. I never watched the show ever, but today I started a theme week thread with the following banner on my blog.

And since you didn't include Shriekback on your list, am I to take it that you were a fan before they got the Michael Mann love? Both on Miami Vice and "Manhunter?"

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2021 04:00PM by Post-Punk Monk.
Reply Quote
zoo
May 17, 2021 04:58PM
I didn't pick up on Shriekback from Miami Vice. There was plenty of music I got into separately (Shriekback being one example) but not from the TV show. I guess my ears didn't perk up when I heard them on the episode, so I didn't investigate.
May 17, 2021 05:28PM
I thought the Apartments had a song on the Pretty in Pink soundtrack - am I wrong about that? I admit all those 80s teen movies (most of which I didn't see) blur together for me.
May 17, 2021 05:30PM
I thought the Apartments had a song on the Pretty in Pink soundtrack - am I wrong about that? I admit all those 80s teen movies (most of which I didn't see) blur together for me.
May 18, 2021 09:33PM
“The Shyest Time” was in Some Kind of Wonderful.
May 18, 2021 07:21PM
I loved the show when I was a kid. But how can you talk Miami Vice without mentioning Jan? He was enormously influential, possibly now more than ever. I still don't think he gets the recognition he deserves.
May 18, 2021 07:57PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2021 11:17PM by That One Guy.
May 19, 2021 10:15PM
That One Guy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some people (raises hand) are of the opinion that
> the recognition he gets for Miami Vice is way out
> of whack with the recognition he should get
> for many things earlier in his career. (And I
> don't just mean Mahavishnu.)

No argument from me!
Suicidal Tendencies did an episode of MV as well.
zoo
May 19, 2021 08:53AM
Jan's music (and not just the main theme song) was really good. I have the "complete" recordings of all the music he did for the show. Much of it was soundtrack bits, but he recorded some full songs that were really good. I still hear "Crockett's Theme" from time to time when I'm out and about. It's a great piece of music.
May 19, 2021 07:45AM
Funny how the zeitgeist works. I just stumbled on this thread at SHF:

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
BCE
May 22, 2021 11:47AM
I didn't realize until years later that "In Dulce Decorum" by The Damned (as used in Miami Vice) was NOT an instrumental. D'oh-!
July 01, 2021 09:28PM
I find myself hitting Tunefind after watching the end credits of shows all the time now. Have discovered all kinds of stuff from Tin Star, Loudermilk and The Patriot (the Michael Dorman one, not Mel) and heaps more.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login