St. Vincent

St. Vincent
May 17, 2021 12:56PM
I reviewed St. Vincent's new album DADDY'S HOME here: [www.gaycitynews.com]
Reply Quote
zoo
Re: St. Vincent
May 19, 2021 08:59AM
Nice review, Stevee! I like your writing.

St. Vincent falls squarely into the category of artist I "respect" (meaning, I acknowledge her talent and the artistic merit of her music), but who I don't actually like. Her music is cool, but leaves me feeling cold. I don't come away from it feeling like it's anything I want to hear again. The one song of hers I can remember really liking is "Prince Johnny."
May 19, 2021 10:00AM
I found myself feeling the same way about her records - quite creative, sometimes wildly so, and she carved out her own sound pretty quickly. But I never revisited them once I gave them the usual one or two "getting to know you" spins.

That said, I have really enjoyed the live shows I've seen - much more than the records. (Outside of the first time I saw her - she was at a festival, was between her first and second records, playing by herself, seemed really unsure of herself - not unusual for an artist starting out and easily forgivable.) Her records are so studio-intensive that you might think she'd struggle onstage, but she really comes alive there. Seeing her gigs hasn't warmed me up to the records, but I'd see her again without hesitation.
May 19, 2021 09:31AM
I fully agree with zoo, Steve.

A very well written and interesting review of an artist I don't really follow closely. I'm surprised she seems to be turning away from guitar-based writing for someone who was first recognized for her innovative work on that instrument, but it's happened to other folks like Jack White (with poor results in his case). The unescapable lure of the keyboards?
May 19, 2021 02:07PM
On this album, she's traded in the guitar for the electric sitar as lead instrument. And she's also given up the electronics of MASSEDUCTION in favor of electric pianos, clavinets, and other keyboards you'd hear on mid '70s R&B records.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login