Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sparks reunite with Todd fifty years later!

Bip
Sparks reunite with Todd fifty years later!
April 25, 2021 06:05PM
Just heard it...”your fandango”... I LIKE it!!!

Sparks / Todd reunite!
Reply Quote
Re: Sparks reunite with Todd fifty years later!
April 27, 2021 08:24AM
Bought it immediately. Gonna blog on it when I get a lunch hour. A hilarious blend of their mid-70s pomp filtered through the Beethoven era writing style with Todd meeting the brothers more than half way; licking his chops with glee, from the sound of it. Maybe the title is calling out Queen's debt to their vibe with "Bohemian Rhapsody?" It sounds like they took the song to Rundgren and he played and arranged it, but that's just a guess. I'm surprised that it took that long to happen again for the two factions. Todd and Sparks were both serious Anglophiles making their initial linkup 50 years ago perfectly natural.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
Reply Quote
Re: Sparks reunite with Todd fifty years later!
April 27, 2021 01:49PM
Maybe Todd really is that difficult to work with as a producer. I looked over the list of his production credits on Wikipedia. It includes only four artists who went into the studio with him more than once -- The New York Dolls, Grand Funk, The Tubes and The Pursuit of Happiness. (Sparks would make five.)

Granted, that list is pretty short -- only about 45 albums. The list of his production credits on Discogs is about ten times as long -- including singles, B-sides, compilation tracks and everything else. You'll pardon me, I hope, if I don't dig into that one more thoroughly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login