Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: R.I.P. Shock G

R.I.P. Shock G
April 23, 2021 08:57AM
AKA Greg Jacobs, AKA Humpty Hump -- founder, principal rapper (in whatever guise) and producer of the hip-hop group Digital Underground. Found dead in a hotel room in Tampa yesterday; cause of death unknown. Details here.
April 23, 2021 09:37AM
A damn shame. Digital Underground were an immediate hit with me and goodness knows hip-hop was not a favorite thing, but DU was so steeped in P-Funk it got right in.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
April 23, 2021 10:14AM
Only a couple of months ago did I decide to explore DU beyond "Humpty Dance." (Hip-hop has never been a genre I've delved too deeply into.) Producer, songwriter, keyboardist, graphic designer and, of course, rapper - Shock G was clearly a mad genius. RIP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2021 10:15AM by Michael Toland.
Reply Quote
April 23, 2021 10:42AM
I enjoyed hip-hop through the '80s, but lost interest with the gangsta-rap movement. (Some may say that this attitude just points up my white privilege. Maybe it does; I won't argue. But I simply turned away from that particular genre of music as it became less ... musical.) For me, Digital Underground was the last really bright spot in hip-hop. Their debut long-player, Sex Packets, really shone on my personal musical horizon when it came out. DU's next two offerings, This Is an EP Release and Sons of the P, kept up that level of entertainment. Shock G was a very versatile rapper, and pretty ambitious with his group's sound. A pretty mean piano player, too. And he created fun album covers for his group too. Rest in peace, Shock.
Reply Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login