Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: MUSIC IN A WORD

ira
MUSIC IN A WORD
April 22, 2021 08:47AM
Trouser Press Books is pleased to announce the first volume of Music in a Word, an anthology and memoir by Ira Robbins.

Music in a Word gathers articles, previously unpublished interviews, album and concert reviews and other writing, with colorful recollections of 50 years spent on a musical soapbox.

Subjects include Trouser Press, John Lydon, Bruce Springsteen, Ice Cube, the Rolling Stones, Be-Bop Deluxe, Liz Phair, Michael Jackson, T. Rex, the B-52's, Elvis Presley, Jethro Tull, J. Geils, Public Enemy, David Bowie, R.E.M., Linda Ronstadt, Pavement, Kirsty MacColl, Holly Beth Vincent, Billy Joel, Tears for Fears, Julian Cope, Ian McCulloch and much more.

Music in a Word will be published as an E-book on May 1st, but you can pre-order it now for $5.00 (You don't need a Kindle reader -- any computer or phone will do.)
April 22, 2021 09:03AM
I'm probably the only person on earth who doesn't read e-books. Any chance of a physical release somewhere down the line?
ira
April 22, 2021 09:58AM
Not too likely -- this one runs to 900 pages! And has color pictures. I might have to do an abridged version for print down the line. Logistically, this was the only way I could go.
April 22, 2021 10:07AM
Copy that.
April 22, 2021 10:47AM
Hell, sounds like a must-read even though I've never read a book not printed on paper. Will have to bust out the iPads for this one and start doing it. Did any one else catch "first volume?" Holly Beth Vincent?! I'd buy it for that chapter!

Also… is there anywhere other than *m*z*n [I saw the hover link info] where one could buy this? It's one of [several] beasts I don't feed.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2021 11:32AM by Post-Punk Monk.
Reply Quote
ira
April 22, 2021 11:22AM
I've got three in all queued up. As I was working on it, I realized that it would run close to 2,000 pages, which seemed a bit excessive, so I divided it thematically into thirds. Just need to do the editing and formatting and the trifecta will be out and about. Sometime in the summer I reckon.
Reply Quote
April 22, 2021 11:31AM
This is very exciting, though I too would have to take on an e-book for the first time ever. I just finally got around to reading "Kick It Till It Breaks" earlier this year and quite enjoyed it.

And couldn't you have just left Billy Joel out, Ira? smiling smiley
April 22, 2021 11:34AM
rhettlawrence Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is very exciting, though I too would have to
> take on an e-book for the first time ever. I just
> finally got around to reading "Kick It Till It
> Breaks" earlier this year and quite enjoyed it.
>
> And couldn't you have just left Billy Joel out,
> Ira? smiling smiley

Billy Joel??!! My brain didn't register the one that's not like the others that first time. Would still want to buy one, though!
ira
April 22, 2021 12:50PM
I've included lots of things you wouldn't expect from me, but I've also explained some of the circumstances and the surprises that were involved. It's not another new wave guide at all, more a journey through all the different roles I've taken on as a writer.
Reply Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login