Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A very gratifying weekend

A very gratifying weekend
April 19, 2021 11:07AM
I recently acquired a cache of about 450 albums and about 100 seven-inch singles. The records came from one of my neighbors, who's retiring and moving to his vacation house in Hawaii. It would've been exorbitantly expensive to ship his collection of vinyl, so he gave it to me. "I just don't want to see my records end up at Goodwill or someplace!" he told me. "I figure a music-lover like you will give them a good home."

His collection came mostly from the '60s and '70s -- rock, folk, some soul/R&B, and Christian music. He had a lot of duplicate copies -- at least three copies of every Beatles album. (Not kidding.) I told him up-front, I didn't see myself keeping the entire collection; I certainly don't need three copies of the White Album. But I promised him, I'd share the bounty with music lovers like myself who'd appreciate them.

One of my wife's co-workers came over yesterday, and spent a couple hours looking through the boxes. She left with about 80 albums.

Her token of esteem, for the opportunity? A copy of TP #43 (with Bowie on the cover) and her program from seeing Bowie on the Isolar Tour!
Bip
Re: A very gratifying weekend
April 19, 2021 02:32PM
Who says nice things don’t happen to nice people?

BUT....I think I need to know if you got the multiple copies of Beatles white album before or after you posted the “controversial White Album” thread. Could be a cosmic example of karma.

Funnily enough, I once gave a duplicate copy of TP 41 (Ocasek on cover) to someone who gifted me a copy of the Bette Bright lp I’d been hunting.
TP... the perfect ‘thank you’ gift?!?
April 19, 2021 02:51PM
Yes, I did acquire my neighbor's record collection before starting that thread about the White Album. But the two events weren't really associated.
April 19, 2021 08:43PM
I am afraid of my wife's reaction if I suddenly came into possession of 450 LPs.
Reply Quote
April 20, 2021 02:33PM
> I am afraid of my wife's reaction if I suddenly came into possession of 450 LPs.

Well, it helps that my wife sees it as our music collection. Plus, she knew I wouldn't be keeping all of them, or even most of them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login