Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

quarter-year best-of playlist

quarter-year best-of playlist
April 04, 2021 01:26PM
2021 is just over 25% over, so I've already made a best-of-the-year playlist: [open.spotify.com]. I limited it to an hour, but I could've gone on much longer and was not trying to be comprehensive.
zoo
Re: quarter-year best-of playlist
April 07, 2021 10:35AM
Thanks for sharing!

For the last couple of years I've been creating a [insert year] playlist, and each week check out the new releases, and if something interests me, I add a song or two to the playlist. After reading steevee's post about a best-of-so-far for 2021, I checked out my list. Even though I've added a number of songs to it, there isn't much that really excites me. Mogwai's new album is pretty good, and Translantlic have returned with some solid prog. Also there's Jon Batiste, a guy I had never heard of until recently, who put out a nice retro-sounding soul album.
Bip
April 07, 2021 07:38PM
Well, I’m impressed that I actually had heard of five of these artists before listening.

But Sophie’s “Bipp” still makes me the happiest, for obvious reasons. Good song ... really catchy beat...and cool playlist!
April 08, 2021 08:37PM
My running best of 2021 Spotify is here
[open.spotify.com]
Bip
April 09, 2021 12:26PM
You both included the Weather Station, which is one of the acts I was familiar with and had sought out prior to your posts. Interesting album!
Reply Quote
April 13, 2021 07:56AM
I got turned on to the WS through the great single "30" from a couple of years ago, and saw them (well, her) play at SXSW that same year. She's now gone from folk rock to the sophistipop direction Steve E mentioned, and it's a good look for her. She's a remarkable songwriter and can probably get away with any musical style she wants to try out. She's got a really bright future.
April 10, 2021 06:11PM
Steve,

Our tastes don't always mesh, as I gravitate towards guitar-based music, but I can agree with a number of your selections, including The Weather Station, Weyes Blood and Julien Baker.

Shoutout to the 801 who introduced me to the Weather Station. I miss his weekly show a lot.
April 12, 2021 06:30PM
The Weather Station were new to me when IGNORANCE started receiving rave reviews, but that album has an odd, seductive quality, like '80s sophisti-pop crossed with the past decade of Destroyer. The slick surface conceals lots of anxiety. I plan to check out her first two albums.
Reply Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login