Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Staking a claim, whether you can or not

Staking a claim, whether you can or not
March 23, 2021 01:53AM
I was listening to U2's live album Under a Blood Red Sky this evening. That album always will be associated with U2's legendary performance at Red Rocks (since the concert film of the same name was shot at that June 5, 1983 show). Music lovers in/from Colorado hold that album near & dear to their hearts. I've ridden in the car with a lot of them, and they would play the cassette or CD and get all sentimental, saying things like, "God, what a show that was. Damn, Delvin, I can't believe you weren't there!" (I couldn't get tickets. The venue was about half full that night, because of the inclement weather, but it did sell out in advance.)

It's enough to make one assume that the whole eight-song album was recorded on that remarkable night at that glorious venue. But only two songs on the album come from that concert. The rest of the album was recorded at other shows on the same tour -- one at a concert in Boston, the remaining five songs at a gig in Germany.

Can you think of another album that music lovers from a certain place, or of a certain age, or whatever, seem to feel a certain bond to, even if that bond is tenuous or circumstantial at best?
Bip
Re: Staking a claim, whether you can or not
March 23, 2021 08:34AM
I can’t easily come up with an album.

Scenes, most certainly... the NYC Bowery scene of the late 70’s, the nascent Seattle scene...”ah, you shoulda been there before the man swept in and commercialized it”.

The one song that hits me first is Springsteen’s cover of Tom Waite’s “jersey girl” that I first heard on his 5-lp live album.

The song is obviously a cover, and the bulk of the crowd is likely unfamiliar with it. But when he sings ‘tonight I’m gonna take that ride... across the river to the Jersey side’ the Meadowlands crowd just explodes. I’m not a live-album fan nor a Jersey resident, but every time I hear that I get chills. For that couple seconds I really wish I was from Jersey and at that show.

Springsteen has an ability to unexpectedly connect. I can’t explain it. I couldn’t get myself to post on the ‘Springsteen agnostics’ thread because I can certainly understand the frustration.... but it would be disingenuous for me to betray him (like Judas?!?).

There are songs on Nebraska like ‘used cars’ and ‘mansion on the hill’ that somehow break my heart EVERY time I hear them.
ira
March 23, 2021 08:37AM
Woodstock?
March 23, 2021 09:56AM
I am currently 53 so 1999 and Purple Rain enveloped my high school days. So much so that Prince dying really impacted me. I did not like everything he did but a great majority of it was just brilliant funky pop. I have met very few people around my age who don't identify with those two albums. But I can't even imagine if I was from Minnesota and a teen during that glorious run of music. In a few shorts months after high school I got turned on to the Replacements and Husker Du and then a few years later the Jayhawks and Soul Asylum. Man that town has left a musical imprint on me that is for sure.
Reply Quote
March 23, 2021 01:29PM
> Scenes, most certainly... the NYC Bowery scene of the late 70’s, the nascent Seattle scene...
> “ah, you shoulda been there before the man swept in and commercialized it”.

Yeah, I've heard that a lot since moving here. Well, maybe not so much about "the man" -- just that it was a really cool scene.

Come to think of it, I get that vibe when people talk about Denver's live music scene in the '80s. Funny thing is, they don't talk so much about the local talent (although the city had its share). No, their talk often is more about a specific venue: the Rainbow Music Hall. People who were there (from 1979 to 1989) seem to look at the existence & operation of that venue as a golden age. And it really was an excellent venue, with great sound, clean lines of sight, and a good location, southeast of downtown Denver. I saw several fantastic shows there.

And, much like Bip said, I've often heard people say things like, "Ahhh, you shoulda been there, before Walgreens swept in and screwed it all up." (That chain opened a store that used the same parking lot, and soon took the promoter/owner of the Rainbow to court over parking disputes. That's basically what killed the venue.)
March 30, 2021 01:17PM
No one talks about it, but early '00s Portland (and adjacent) had a scene that got very significant, between Decemberists and Shins and Long Winters and Exploding Hearts and Neko Case and existing bands like Sleater-Kinney. I don't hear people talk much about it, but living there at that time you were surrounded by bands that would later get big national attention. I saw members of the bands at record stores and restaurants, for instance, but there was no "formative moment" that people later claimed...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login