Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Steve Kilbey plays The Church singles 80-92

Steve Kilbey plays The Church singles 80-92
March 13, 2021 10:15AM
Finally went to a gig for the first time in about a year. The 'rona mean't Kilbey had to assemble a throw-together band for this one. Although there was no Koppes or Wilson-Piper, their replacements were using a white Stratocaster and Rickenbacker semi-hollow respectively.
Highlights were Reptile, first single She Never Said and a stupendous Tantalized.
Reply Quote
March 13, 2021 10:34AM
Lucky man ! Seeing the Church play live in 2015 is one of the highlights of my concert-going career. I remember Koppes and Kilbey switched guitars between just about every song (Marty Willson-Piper was out of the band at that time).
Reply Quote
March 13, 2021 12:26PM
Man, it's been a little over a year since I saw live music. That's great that you're getting to see something. We can only hope that it won't be long before we can see bands here in the states. I've seen the Church three times and they kept getting better. Most of the credit has to go to Kilbey as he seemed more relaxed each time.
Reply Quote
March 13, 2021 01:08PM
Unlike so many other bands, the Church hits Austin every time they do a headlining tour in the States. They’ve been great every time I’ve seen them, which is four times in the last 8 years or so. I haven’t seen them since Ashley Naylor of Even replaced Koppes, but then I don’t know if they’ve toured at all since then.
March 13, 2021 01:05PM
Makes sense. Since Koppes left, Kilbey’s the last man standing from the original lineup anyway.
March 14, 2021 01:12AM
It was a curious event. Took place in a heritage cinema which was super close to my house with a gaps in the seating for distancing. I said to my wife they should have it like that all the time. I would go there again for a musical event, especially with the lack of venues in Sydney these days.
March 14, 2021 10:52AM
Very cool! I've seen The Church three times, each time with the same lineup (Kilbey, Koppes, Willson-Piper, Powles). The first was an unplugged show. Always fantastic live.
Reply Quote
March 14, 2021 12:30PM
I saw that unplugged tour - the only time I saw them with Marty. Great show. Rob Dickinson opened solo.
March 14, 2021 09:52PM
Wow... I actually had a vivid dream the other night that I was seeing X and the Blasters and they were so great and I was jumping around and my mother was with me for some reason and I was just so ecstatic.. gee, think I miss live shows much?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login