Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Taking Fifty Miles To Cross the Street

Taking Fifty Miles To Cross the Street
February 28, 2021 12:49PM
Does he ever get around to the topic at hand, a review of Duke by Genesis? I gave up some time around the 10,000 word mark.

[pitchfork.com]
Re: Taking Fifty Miles To Cross the Street
February 28, 2021 06:45PM
Are you still trying to read Pitchfork? You should have learned by now!
March 01, 2021 02:02AM
Whatever it is, it's a pretty awful piece of writing, but it reads like an essay about the history of Genesis much more than an attempt to review DUKE. I'm surprised Pitchfork bothered publishing it, because their "Sunday classics" series mostly consists of "Avril Lavigne's first album is actually a masterpiece" or "we overrated the Prodigy back in the '90s but won't openly acknowledge our past opinions now" takes.
Reply Quote
March 01, 2021 02:18AM
I read it. I enjoyed it well enough ... perhaps because Steevee and Reno already clued me in, so I didn't take it seriously at all.
zoo
March 01, 2021 09:58AM
It's an interesting read, but as a review of Duke, it kinda sucks. There's a lot of history of the band and their music, which reads fine if you aren't actually familiar with the albums. But if you are, then there are definitely some bones to pick, such as this:

"When Gabriel quit, they developed a more atmospheric sound, showcasing the inventive style of guitarist Steve Hackett."

Yeah, the "atmospheric" description might be accurate, but Hackett was anything but showcased. The group rejected most of the songs he brought to the table, and his guitar playing was often de-emphasized. After two albums of this (which were very good, IMO), he jumped ship and is still the only member of the classic lineup actively releasing albums and playing live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2021 10:53AM by zoo.
March 01, 2021 12:09PM
I'm puzzled as to why Pitchfork is doing this in the first place. Genesis in any era seems far too powerfully uncool for them to get within 100 feet.
zoo
March 01, 2021 02:00PM
Good point. Who knows. But I like it when they get out of their comfort zone and make an attempt to discuss bands that are so far out of their wheelhouse. Leads to some very dubious writing. Like this Genesis review.
March 01, 2021 05:26PM
I think the Phil Collins comet has completed its trip to the Oort Cloud of uncoolness and over the last few years has been arcing back into the tastemakers' inner solar system again. He's not the automatic punchline he was a while back and the "Ah, Phil's all right" sentiment applies to pop-era Genesis by extension.

Heck, he was a viral sensation for a week a few months back, enough so that "In the Air Tonight" ended up back on the charts after 40 years. (Which still isn't as weird as Life Without Buildings becoming TikTok stars - who the hell dragged out the obscurest of obscure post-punk revival bands of the early aughts and decided to lip synch to them and cause a sensation? What a world, what a world.)
Bip
March 01, 2021 08:39PM
I’ve absolutely gotten that same sense about Collins. And I think there’s a couple reasons for it....

Today’s trendy music writers possibly weren’t even born when the Collins juggernaut roamed the planet. They never felt it’s oppressive breath on their neck. So they don’t know what it was like to dismiss it while desperately clutching your bauhaus tshirt.

Maybe Collins can now be seen for what he really was... someone with an uncanny ear for popular music. A freaking master craftsman of it. Like it or not, he was on your radio constantly. His ability to write, sing and perform this stuff was unbelievable. AND he wasn’t a pretty boy... did it strictly on his ability.

Even if I don’t appreciate the music itself, I do admire his talent. Same way I might admire Michael Jordan’s skills or Tom Hank’s knack for acting.
zoo
March 02, 2021 10:30AM
Bip, I can't really argue with anything you've said. Here's what I'll add...when Gabriel left Genesis, Collins had HUGE shoes to fill, but he stepped up to the mic and the front of the stage and delivered in spades. The first two post-Gabriel albums are excellent and didn't change the band's sound all that much. But then Hackett left and the move toward pop accelerated.

It's easy to also forget what a freaking amazing drummer he was. And I say "was" because he apparently can't play any longer due to health issues. But listen to those Genesis albums, as well his work in Brand X, and the proof's in the pudding.

All of that said, I have little time for anything he's recorded in Genesis post-Abacab, and his solo work is anathema to me.
March 01, 2021 10:11PM
Phil Collins.

As Boring As The Beatles®

There…I said it!

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
March 02, 2021 01:28PM
> It's easy to also forget what a freaking amazing drummer he was.

Agreed. I saw Phil Collins once -- not with Genesis, nor on one of his solo-artist tours, but as the drummer behind Eric Clapton. That was an excellent concert. Clapton's band was very stripped-down -- bassist Nathan East and keyboardist Greg Phillinganes were the only other musicians. All fine musicians, including Collins. We got the impression that he was enjoying the busman's holiday. The Robert Cray Band opened the show.
Bip
March 02, 2021 01:51PM
Yes —-I was only commenting on his solo and hit Genesis period... i.e. his singing and songwriting credentials.

His drumming feats are indeed staggering. He drummed on Eno’s ‘another green world’ for Pete’s sake!!

But can we name another drummer who had the non-drumming skills Phil had? Dave Grohl?? Don HENLEY?????

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
March 02, 2021 05:37PM
My favorite singing drummer is Adam Lee from China Drum, though to be fair, he set down his sticks by the band's second album.
Reply Quote
March 02, 2021 05:24PM
Levon Helm is widely renowned for his singing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login