Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Compilations

ira
Compilations
February 22, 2021 10:42AM
I found a file of compilation reviews that were done for the TP Guide sometime in the '80s or '90s and had them added to the review section. Kind of an amazing snapshot of the era.
Reply Quote
February 22, 2021 11:44AM
Very nice. Thanks for this - I've found some comps I'm gonna have to track down, especially that Australian Asleep at the Wheel collection.
zoo
February 22, 2021 11:48AM
Ira, this is awesome, especially for the soundtrack info since those are often songs that aren't on an artists' proper albums. Always cool when you find a track that you didn't know existed by a favorite band. For example, the soundtrack below includes a song by The Damned that I've never heard. I just listened on YouTube...it's not a great song, but definitely cool to hear, and a pleasant surprise to start my day.

THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD (Enigma) 1985
Cramps, Damned, 45 Grave, Tall Boys, TSOL, Jet Black Berries, Flesheaters, SSQ, Roky Erickson

New tracks by the Cramps, 45 Grave and Roky Erickson enliven this tongue-in-cheek zombie flick soundtrack; contributions by the Damned, Flesheaters and TSOL add further atmosphere to the graveyard party.
ira
February 22, 2021 02:11PM
sorry there isn't more detail, but i suspect some of it may be on discogs
February 22, 2021 02:59PM
Sweet! Great addition to the site Ira, and a real trip down memory land. Comps were - and still are - important going back to the granddady of 'em all "Nuggets.". zoo, i had that "Return of the Living Dead" soundtrack. The whole thing's really good.
Reply Quote
Bip
February 22, 2021 07:53PM
Oh wow.... really terrific list. I didn’t think I had that many comps in my collection, but as I read through the titles was surprised by how many of these I own. Thanks for adding these to the site!

Not to belabor the point, but I’m STILL blown away by how great this site overhaul has been. So much was added (and obviously still being added) AND you kept all old content??So many other oddball music sites I’ve loved have been ruined by trying to do upgrades.
February 24, 2021 07:27PM
These are great. Mr Toland, if you dig Asleep at the Wheel you would dig the 1996 compilation A Slab of Vic, also on Au-Go-Go.
February 26, 2021 02:10PM
Sort of off topic but not that much. I have had Tidal for a bit now and last night I was recommended this artist radio channel for the band Felt, one of my favorites. If you have Tidal, here is a link to it. Some really good tunes, some I had not even heard but loved. I am struggling at work today because I stayed up way past my bed time listening to it. How did I miss Sad Lovers and Giants? That song Colourless Dream is great. Several other bands I had never heard of, darn good mix IMO. Enjoy

[tidal.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2021 05:27PM by upper90.
February 26, 2021 03:01PM
I knew Sad Lovers & Giants only from Trouser Press and had always wondered what they sounded like, but had never been able to track down any of their records (especially in the days before streaming and Discogs). Imagine my surprise when they came to play SxSW here in Austin a few years back, with what turned out to be their first U.S. gig.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login