Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Your favorite one-two punch on any album

Bip
Your favorite one-two punch on any album
September 02, 2020 11:01AM
The two songs that come one right after the other that make you just happy to be alive.

My answer might change hourly but as I sit here listening to ‘Dare’ (something I haven’t done in over twenty years if I’m being honest), “seconds” into “love action” just are pure bliss. Buried in the middle of side two, I might add!
Reply Quote
September 02, 2020 12:40PM
Ah, like how "Sgt Pepper" goes into "Little Help From My Friends," or Led Zep's "Heartbreaker" goes right into "Livin Lovin Maid"? Well of course, it's got to be "Trouser Press" into "My Pink Half of the Drainpipe"!
Reply Quote
September 02, 2020 01:00PM
The first thing to mind? The brutal whiplash of "Shoo Be Doo/Candy-O" on "Candy-O" by the Cars. This was so magical to me that I discounted The Cars for decades since nothing else was crafted to this standard.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
Reply Quote
ira
September 02, 2020 01:00PM
I'll raise you one:

Where the Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With or Without You
September 02, 2020 01:58PM
I always thought the transition from Need you Tonight to Mediate was pretty clever, especially the video.
September 02, 2020 02:18PM
On Joe Jackson's Look Sharp!, I love how "Happy Loving Couples" seems to be set to fade out, with JJ singing the line "You ain't no friends of mine" repeatedly ... until the engineer cuts in on the talk-back to tell him, "Right, that's enough," before the guitarist slams into "Throw It Away."

The Kings open their debut album The Kings Are Here with "This Beat Goes On" and "Switching to Glide." Two great tunes that go great together ... by design.

The entire debut album from The B-52's makes me happy to be alive, but the opening one-two punch of "Planet Claire" and "52 Girls" triggers instant joy. Both my siblings feel the same way about that album and that opening pair ... even though my sister always has been a little bit disappointed that her name isn't included as one of "the principal girls of the U.S.A." (I've pointed out that the band gets through only 24 names in that song, so I'm sure they would've gotten to hers if they'd had more time.)

The same can be said of Thomas Dolby's The Golden Age of Wireless -- at least its first American release. That album got messed with more times than should be allowed by law, but on the Harvest U.S. issue, "Europa and the Pirate Twins" followed by "Flying North" constitutes a great opening pair.

Devo's debut album opens with one of their most slamming songs ("Uncontrollable Urge"), and then gets right into one of the most remarkable covers any band has ever done ("Satisfaction").

Here's one I plan to include in my program this week: The Hoodoo Gurus' "On My Street" followed by "Party Machine." Probably my all-time favorite album-closing two-fer (from Blow Your Cool).

And Ira, I'll see your U2 bet with my favorite Bowie trifecta: "Hang Onto Yourself," "Ziggy Stardust" and "Suffragette City."

That's all I have for now.
Reply Quote
September 03, 2020 10:04AM
"Station to Station"
"Golden Years"
zoo
September 03, 2020 09:37PM
I was listening to Born Sandy Devotional the other day and thought the transition from the chaotic "Lonely Stretch" into the calm beauty of "Wide Open Road" was pretty awesome. And now there's a thread for me to express that thought, so thank you Bip!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login