Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Pylon reissues

Pylon reissues
August 26, 2020 04:40PM
For those of us who've long regretted selling off our Pylon albums back in the "I can't move this damn vinyl collection again" days, New West is reissuing them on vinyl and CD, and as a box set with extra stuff.

Details.
August 26, 2020 06:16PM
I've still got all mine, but I kinda want to buy 'em again for the extra stuff!
August 26, 2020 10:27PM
Missed them in `80s and in the `90s my only exposure was 'Dub' from The Trouser Press Underground tape and I hated that song. Last decade, Vanessa Hay has been fronting a tribute band - the Pylon Reenactment Society and I caught one of their shows and was blown away. I don't buy vinyl but I like all of the extras - ugh! what to do?
August 27, 2020 03:43PM
Happy to see this material re-issued since I have needed "Gyrate" and "Chomp" for…nearly 40 years [ducks brick aimed at head]. And the swell DFA issues are already out of my price range [not that I ever saw them]. But also happy that the $150 box with a delightful book and all the extras is vinyl only, so I don't have to worry about buying one. I may get the straight "Gyrate" and "Chomp" CDs…if I ever see them in the Hipster Vinyl Hell we now inhabit! In a just world Pylon would never be out of print as they are eternally fresh. I caught the Pylon Reenactment Society a few years ago and they were certainly all that and more, ages later.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2020 03:46PM by Post-Punk Monk.
August 27, 2020 04:00PM
You could order them directly from the label - I'm sure they'd appreciate it in times when folks aren't able to go into record stores. (Though we have stores here in Austin with curbside pickup, and, of course, mail order.)
August 28, 2020 06:13PM
Kinda bummed there isn’t a CD version of the box set — I certainly would’ve sprung for that... sad smiley
Bip
August 28, 2020 10:09PM
I sought out and found the “crazy / m train” single after reading TP’s positive review in the American Underground column. Never looked back. Have the chomp and gyrate lp’s and the cool/dub 45 also.

I’m a vinyl screwball but can understand the frustration over the vinyl format of the box set. You’d think they’d make this available on disc. Sometimes I think record labels, despite their good intentions, just overthink the thing.
August 28, 2020 11:12PM
When I've been to record stores this year, they aren't stocking anything except fairly popular new releases on CD. I've heard that labels just aren't pressing older releases on the format anymore. Especially given the price and the fact that I already own Pylon's 2 studio albums, I wish a CD version was available for about $40-50, but maybe the label assumes they wouldn't sell enough CDs to break even on the pressing (especially with some independent record stores closed, having limited hours or being in danger of going under now.)
Reply Quote
August 29, 2020 11:20PM
My local "hip" record store just knifed my heart by no longer buying CDs… but they will buy your CASSETTES!!!! 2020 has shaped up to be actual Hell On Earth any way I care to look at it. I sure as f*** didn't imagine I'd be entering my "golden years" with the lousy audio format of my childhood ascendant! All I can hope for is that 20 years from now…when I'm nearly 80, the new CDs I'm buying currently will be exchanging hands for hundreds of dollars, so I can pawn them and afford my air bill.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
Reply Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login