Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Emmit Rhodes, Peter Green

Emmit Rhodes, Peter Green
July 25, 2020 11:01PM
Just found out that Emmitt Rhodes died recently. I was a huge fan; I remember playing his records in my college dorm. And Fleetwood Mac founder Peter Green's death was announced today. Double bummer. A bit before TP's heyday, but seminal figures both.
ira
July 26, 2020 04:57PM
i wonder how many current Fleetwood Mac fans are wondering why they've never heard of the group's late founder. One other band whose (thankfully very alive) founder would probably be unfamiliar to the majority of its fans is ELO (Roy Wood).

Who else?
July 26, 2020 05:04PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2021 11:06PM by That One Guy.
July 27, 2020 03:31PM
ira Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i wonder how many current Fleetwood Mac fans are
> wondering why they've never heard of the group's
> late founder. One other band whose (thankfully
> very alive) founder would probably be unfamiliar
> to the majority of its fans is ELO (Roy Wood).
>
> Who else?

John Foxx, founder of Ultravox! Most Americans wouldn't know him at all.

I first heard Emmit Rhodes in the mid-80s as I was too young in 1970. I think I first started listening to Top 40 in the summer of '71. I was struck by the pop tunes of Stephen Duffy in 1985 and my older friend Brian [who also enjoyed Duffy] felt that he was of a similar piece with Emmit Rhodes, so he made me a sampler of Rhodes' tuneage. I could agree with that perspective. I was amazed to see that Rhodes finally put out that looooooooooooong gestating 4th album a few years back. Thank goodness.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2020 03:37PM by Post-Punk Monk.
July 26, 2020 08:12PM
Most "current Fleetwood Mac fans" probably couldn't name anyone in the band other than Stevie Nicks.
Bip
July 26, 2020 10:22PM
Hmmm... I’m not so sure if I agree on these. Younger fans have access to a World Wide Web that can tell them just about anything, including band origins. They may not understand the nuances of Roy Wood or Peter Green, but they can hear their work in those bands on YouTube in seconds. I’d LIKE to think that true young music fans today are as sincere about learning as I was at 13.

... but taking Ira’s bait, my example would be Syd Barrett in Pink Floyd.

Emitt Rhodes is dear to me. Discovered him LATE, only a few years ago. I thought I was pretty well-versed in power pop... then I heard “fresh as a daisy” from his 1970 solo debut. I’ll never forget where I was and what I was doing the first time I heard it. Love how sometimes music can hit you unexpectedly like that.
Reply Quote
July 27, 2020 08:27PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2021 11:06PM by That One Guy.
July 27, 2020 01:39PM
How about Brian Jones - Stones?
July 28, 2020 06:17PM
Pete Best - Beatles
Henry Padovani - Police
Stephen “Tin Tin” Duffy (mentioned above) - Duran Duran

OK I'm cheating.
List of pre-fame band departures (Wikipedia)

To which we could add some founders who left after the group achieved fame but would not likely be known by latter day fans (e.g., Bernie Leadon, Eagles).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login