Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: We Were Once Rebels: Upcoming film about I.R.S. Records

We Were Once Rebels: Upcoming film about I.R.S. Records
July 21, 2020 05:38PM
This looks... like it won't be as good as I hoped. Given how many records I own from the I.R.S. label, the selection of musicians is underwhelming too, and clearly they didn't have any luck getting an interview from R.E.M.

[www.wewereoncerebels.com]
July 21, 2020 05:53PM
Members of the Go-go's, the Alarm (Mike Peters himself), the Lords of the New Church, Concrete Blonde and Squeeze, plus Miles Copeland and my old pal Cary Baker. I would've liked to have seen Stan Ridgway, and while R.E.M. would have been nice, I wouldn't expect them to do it. This looks interesting to me.
July 22, 2020 09:14AM
I also noticed the absence of General Public and dada and Let's Active and a lot of others, but of course R.E.M. would be the best known.
July 22, 2020 10:18AM
Still very interested no matter who's in it. A very interesting company with "interesting" people in charge. When I was a DJ in my high school station in 79, I.R.S. was the only "label" who serviced us with promos when asked nicely! So we got their earliest releases with the rainbow label. I liked playing Fashiøn's "Product Perfect."

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2020 10:19AM by Post-Punk Monk.
July 22, 2020 06:21PM
Having record companies take high school and college radio stations seriously was so rare. I was a programming director and then station manager of KRLX (88.1 in Northfield, Minnesota, next time you are driving through!), and we had a hard time getting taken seriously outside of the "college rock" ghetto. I remember how awestruck I was when I wrote to a reggae reissue label and they sent literally a box of 4o or 50 archival CDs, really ace stuff from the 1960s and 1970s.
July 23, 2020 12:39PM
Don’t see any mention of the Suburban Lawns. That’s ok, they’re getting their own documentary:

[www.facebook.com]
July 23, 2020 05:04PM
I actually heard a Suburban Lawns song last night in the Twitch broadcast from Minneapolis DJ Jake Rudh!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login