Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Other Music documentary

Other Music documentary
June 10, 2020 10:13AM
COVID lockdown robbed the documentary about Other Music from a theatrical release, but it's now streaming. I read this excellent review today: [southwestreview.com]
Bip
Re: Other Music documentary
June 10, 2020 07:46PM
Thanks for sharing... this site has always been a good way for me to hear about things I wouldn’t have known of otherwise.

I thought “othermusic” might be a new band or vaporwave genre (ha!). But the reviewer’s opening sentence pulled me into the article like moths to a flame: “Oh to be browsing the shelves of a crowded record store on a warm New York City afternoon”. Indeed!!!

While not a resident, I have record shopped in NYC. Not 100% if I was ever in that store or not... my visits were usually pretty whirlwind. Sounds like the staff there made the place a nice one to stop in.

I liked the discussion on fear of being judged when you bring your purchases to the counter. With age I’ve become indifferent to that, but as a teen this was a big deal. My taste has always been fairly eclectic. Bond with a clerk over a NWOBHM release and you’re the king. Approach that same clerk a week later with a Prince or Adam and the Ants album and there goes the neighborhood!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2020 07:48PM by Bip.
Bip
June 10, 2020 07:46PM
Thanks for sharing... this site has always been a good way for me to hear about things I wouldn’t have known of otherwise.

I thought “othermusic” might be a new band or vaporwave genre (ha!). But the reviewer’s opening sentence pulled me into the article like moths to a flame: “Oh to be browsing the shelves of a crowded record store on a warm New York City afternoon”. Indeed!!!

While not a resident, I have record shopped in NYC. Not 100% if I was ever in that store or not... my visits were usually pretty whirlwind. Sounds like the staff there made the place a nice place to stop in.

I liked the discussion on fear of being judged when you bring your purchases to the counter. With age I’ve become indifferent to that, but as a teen this was a big deal. My taste has always been fairly eclectic. Bond with a clerk over a NWOBHM release and you’re the king. Approach that same clerk a week later with a Prince or Adam and the Ants album and there goes the neighborhood!
June 11, 2020 11:19AM
> I liked the discussion on fear of being judged when you bring your purchases to the counter.
> With age I’ve become indifferent to that, but as a teen this was a big deal.

I cured myself of that neurosis at an early age. During a visit to Wax Trax -- at the time, the last word in cool record stores in the Denver area -- I bought an Abba album. The clerk didn't bat an eyelash. Walking out, I shrugged and said to myself, "I guess, if they have it in the racks, they intend to sell it. End of story."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login