Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Rupert Hine Died Today

Rupert Hine Died Today
June 05, 2020 06:14PM
Dang it, Ruper Hine just died today at 72. No cause of death mentioned yet. He was an amazing musician; being heavy into tech in a way I found riveting. His solo and Thinkman albums were some best of breed hi-tech rock music. Prog roots, for sure, but no fat on those bones. "Immunity" was an amazing calling card to me in 1981. Up there with the sort of stuff Peter Gabriel was doing at the time [before he went soft in 1985]. The first Thinkman album was all Rupert with a fake "band" of hired actors [including Julian Clary] to deflect attention away from himself since it was determined that he did not have sufficient charisma to be a solo act! Crazy... and almost up there with what The Alarm did.

Hine was most successful, unfortunately, as a producer. The vast bulk of his successful production career did nothing for me. Tina Turner comeback. Howard Jones. The Fixx. Chris DeBurgh. The only of his productions I've any enthusiasm for was the Jona Lewie album "Heart Skips Beat." Though I thought he was a good fit for Rush, the two albums he helmed are merely okay. The last Rush albums from their imperial '79-'91 run where they started to move away from the technology after a great run of albums. Due to the success he found as a producer, his last album of original material was in 1994. A shame.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
zoo
June 05, 2020 08:30PM
Bummer! That first Thinkman album is really good, and I like some of his solo stuff. It's a bit creepy at times...but that's not a bad thing necessarily. Unlike you, Monk, I really enjoy those first three Fixx albums. And I just recently learned that Hine produced Saga's World's Apart album which has long been a favorite of mine.
June 11, 2020 11:43AM
> Though I thought he was a good fit for Rush, the two albums he helmed are merely okay.
> The last Rush albums from their imperial '79-'91 run where they started to move away
> from the technology after a great run of albums.

Yeah, it's interesting that Hine -- a producer so associated with keyboard-centered acts like The Fixx, Howard Jones and Thompson Twins -- would steer Rush (and Geddy Lee in particular) away from the techno-centric sound of their '80s work. He's interviewed briefly in the Rush doc Beyond the Lighted Stage. He claims to have told Rush, during their pre-studio meetings, "It's absurd that one of the last great guitar-bass-drums power trios in rock is smothering itself with keyboards." I think that says a lot to his integrity as a producer. (And those two albums he produced, Presto and Roll the Bones, both are solid.)
June 15, 2020 10:13AM
Delvin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, it's interesting that Hine -- a producer so
> associated with keyboard-centered acts like The
> Fixx, Howard Jones and Thompson Twins -- would
> steer Rush (and Geddy Lee in particular) away from
> the techno-centric sound of their '80s work. He's
> interviewed briefly in the Rush doc Beyond the
> Lighted Stage
. He claims to have told Rush,
> during their pre-studio meetings, "It's absurd
> that one of the last great guitar-bass-drums power
> trios in rock is smothering itself with
> keyboards." I think that says a lot to his
> integrity as a producer. (And those two albums he
> produced, Presto and Roll the Bones,
> both are solid.)

Hine was never an "auteur" producer. I can't say he gave a particular stamp to his projects. As producer, he was a facilitator, not a dictator.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2020 10:14AM by Post-Punk Monk.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login