The March Violets
June 01, 2020 09:30AM
Somehow I managed to miss this band, I don't ever remember seeing any of their early singles or later compilations at my college record store in the mid 80's. Luckily Dark Wave played a cut a few weeks ago. Also luckily I have Amazon Music Unlimited and have pretty much worked all of the songs on the Botanic Verses into my various playlists. I read up on them quite a bit after that and all of the comparisons to Sisters of Mercy, I get that, but for whatever reason many of the MV songs just have a killer cool vibe and rhythm that is less present in SOM. But what a great find so many years after it was released. The song Walk into the Sun so perfectly fits the time period, killer guitar riff. If I had a complaint some of their material on Botanic comes off sounding a bit like Christian Death which is ok. I just think if they had released more material like Walk Into the Sun it would have been awesome.
ira
Re: The March Violets
June 01, 2020 09:51AM
They're a strange band with several divergent sounds. Their cover of "Amanda Jones" on the soundtrack of Some Kind of Wonderful is one of my favorite songs ever.
Re: The March Violets
June 01, 2020 11:22AM
I also enjoyed the "Amanda Jones" cover [and "Turn To The Sky"] on the "Some Kind of Wonderful" OST. And always meant to buy some March Violets but truth be told, I never seemed to ever see anything. Then I found out that they were a "goth" band and that only confused me since the Stones cover was pure pop. But okay, I'm find with goth that doesn't sound like Fields Of Nephelim, [the whole "ogre music" vocal thing] so I'm still up for it.

As a corollary, perhaps an argument can be made that the John Hughes OST form peaked on "Some Kind of Wonderful." There's nothing on that one I would relegate to the recycle bins. And none of my favorite bands sold their souls to Satan on that one. Okay…maybe Flesh For Lulu were less than adroit.

Former TP subscriber [81, 82, 83, 84]

[postpunkmonk.com]
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2020 11:23AM by Post-Punk Monk.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login