Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: RIP Daniel Johnston

BCE
RIP Daniel Johnston
September 11, 2019 07:53PM
[www.thedailybeast.com]

I still remember seeing his tapes advertised in now-defunct zines like Factsheet Five and Option.

Very difficult to not cry today.
September 11, 2019 08:02PM
Dan was not only a beloved Austin institution, but also my boss's longtime management client. He's gutted.

Dan was on Austin City Limits once, as a guest of the Swell Season, performing "Love in Vain" with a children's choir. We're digging it out of the archive now to post on the ACL social media. It's a beautiful thing. I'll post it here once it's up.
September 11, 2019 09:00PM
Daniel Johnston with the Swell Season and the Conspirare Children's Choir doing "Life in Vain."

Here.
September 11, 2019 11:42PM
That was incredibly moving and poignant. Thank you.
September 12, 2019 01:17AM
Don't be sad (I know you will).

RIP
September 12, 2019 01:36AM
I was fortunate to see him live in ‘06:

[musicformaniacs.blogspot.com]
September 12, 2019 04:08AM
The thing that occurs to me is no one quite like that had existed before and then many did after.
September 12, 2019 11:50AM
It's been a really bad stretch for cult songwriters with mental health issues - Roky Erickson, Dan Berman, Neal Casal, and now Daniel Johnston
September 12, 2019 01:07PM
Trouser Press gets a nod in the NY Times obituary for Johnson: [www.nytimes.com].

"In 1991, Mr. Johnston made a joint album with Jad Fair of the band Half Japanese, who had cultivated a similar reputation as an eccentric. But by comparison, the rock guide Trouser Press noted, Mr. Fair “seems about as offbeat as an insurance salesman,” as Mr. Johnston muttered “Poor you, no one understands you” in a warped, ghostlike voice."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login