Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Rolling Blackouts C.F. in Seattle: The Sequel

Rolling Blackouts C.F. in Seattle: The Sequel
June 07, 2019 01:54PM
Barely a year after their previous performance in Jet City, the Melbourne five-piece returned to The Crocodile. This time, they played to a packed house. And just from the feel of the room, you could tell everyone was stoked to see this band.

They responded with a set that was tighter and more energetic than last year's show -- not to mention one with fewer technical gaffes. No broken strings, and no goof-ups on the lighting. Although they still channel The Feelies and The Go-Betweens quite a bit, RBCF seems to be finding its own sound more and more.

As the setlist shows, they focused on the Hope Downs album, with a few dips back to their EPs, plus a couple of "brand-new" songs.

SETLIST:
Colours Run
The Hammer
Time in Common
Sister's Jeans
Read My Mind
Sick Bug
An Air Conditioned Man
Bellarine
Exclusive Grave
Big Fence
Talking Straight
In the Capital
Mainland
Fountain of Good Fortune
French Press

ENCORE:
Clean Slate

The opener was an Australian quartet called RVG. I had checked their songs out, so I was looking forward to seeing them. Their instrumental mix sounded great last night, but their singer turned out to be in very rough voice. "I normally do my best to channel Kate Bush," she told the crowd, "but tonight I'm more Tom Waits." Then she added, "I blame it on America, and all yer fookin' germs that I'm not used to."

June 07, 2019 04:25PM
I saw RVG at SXSW...last year? They were terrific. Too bad she was in bad voice - normally she cuts through everything. Catch 'em next time.
June 07, 2019 09:53PM
I missed RBCF on their last tour through DC; was dealing with some difficult family stuff (dying cat, etc.) but strongly endorse their shows, having seen them twice in 2017-2018.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login